AV Rant #802: Sofabaton X1 First Impressions
Rob’s early take on setting up and using the Sofabaton X1 Universal Remote. Is it the Harmony replacement we’ve been hoping for?
Check out Tom’s latest novel, Touch of Pain, on Amazon: https://amzn.to/3JRVzSu
Pictures shown in this episode:
00:00:00 – Intro
Rob’s been catching up on Supergirl, and Tom has started Moon Knight and saw Turning Red, as well.
00:09:05 – Listeners of the Week
Our Listeners of the Week are Raf for his PayPal donation, plus our 144 Patreon Patrons, including Dale and Chris, as well as Jack for pointing out a glitch over at https://avgadgets.com/ , and Karl for picking up Touch of Pain: https://amzn.to/3JRVzSu
We also appreciate the notes of gratitude for keeping the podcast going from: Miguel, Mark, Tim, Dale, Chris, and Allen. Thank you to everybody for continuing to listen!
00:13:33 – Sofabaton X1 Impressions
David wrote in last week with his take, and Rob compares his initial experience setting up and using the new universal remote: https://is.gd/Yq8xPu
00:39:57 – Comment: Gurinder – Wii 2 HDMI Adapter
Only $8: https://is.gd/mLl4ts
00:41:20 – Comment: Mark – Zap-Pop-Pop caused by Wireless?
Trying to help out John with his NVidia Shield audio problems.
00:41:54 – Will: BenQ HT3550 screen blanking
We explain why his screen goes blank for a few seconds every time he goes back to his Apple TV 4K’s menu.
00:45:20 – Ari: Turntable with SoundBar
We describe what’s needed to connect a turntable to a SoundBar, suggest some record players that make it easy, and explain what’s needed to also use headphones.
– Fosi Audio Box X2: https://is.gd/YFGLfm
– Emotiva XPS-1: https://is.gd/LMhVUE
– Audio-Technica LP120: https://is.gd/GZHGx0
– LP120xBT: https://is.gd/xHDIdk
– LP60xBT: https://is.gd/2aCmr2
– Monolith Turntable: https://is.gd/wCikj5
– Emotiva PT-1: https://is.gd/qlXKAT
– Marantz NR1510: https://is.gd/2ZpnmZ
– NR1711 at A4L: https://is.gd/8Tz6Bu
– Denon S660H: https://is.gd/YUR8Z3
00:54:31 – Luke: 43″ TV as Computer Monitor
Options for small TVs / large monitors with all the gaming features.
– Sony X85J: https://is.gd/sPsSyQ
– Samsung QN90A: https://is.gd/wqcWXR
– Sony X80J: https://is.gd/HNTRwT
01:02:19 – Alex: Unsatisfied with Bass
We surmise why Alex, despite having the necessary gear and treatments, still isn’t enjoying his bass.
– 12 Step Guide: https://is.gd/EIetov
01:18:21 – Miguel: NHT or Ascend
Not sure we help, but we talk through Miguel’s speaker choice.
01:29:39 – Nathan: Desktop Audio Issues
Sending a computer’s HDMI output through an Oppo 203 is causing problems we think we can resolve.
01:34:16 – Matt: Ground Up Construction
A carpenter is building his own house with a theater. We discuss in-wall speakers, backer boxes, why we don’t often recommend Axiom anymore, and amplification.
– Emotiva BasX A3: https://is.gd/dU7qHa
01:48:17 – Mike: HDBaseT Handshake Problem
We think some Harmony Activity programming might resolve an HDMI handshake issue.
01:52:24 – Tim: In-ceiling Surrounds
We don’t actually want Tim to change his setup at all. But if he insists, we have affordable in-ceiling speaker options.
– Monoprice Alpha 8″: https://is.gd/ng2Wpg
– Alpha Back Cans: https://is.gd/d16o1F
– Sonance MAG6: https://is.gd/En6IMW
– MAG6 Back Cans: https://is.gd/wYbPax
01:56:55 – Anonymous: 4K/HDR Worth It?
Do 4K and HDR compatibility from a projector result in real-world differences? And what’s the advantage of Audyssey MultEQ XT32 or MultEQ XT?