AV Rant #785: Weird Kid Rob
Lots of interesting comparisons this week: QD-Display vs OLED, PlayStation Plus vs Xbox Game Pass, 75″ TVs, XLR vs DMX cables, 2 seats vs 3 seats, LG CX vs C1, acoustically transparent vs below the screen, and SVS Prime vs Ultra. Plus a bunch of other questions, too. Enjoy!
Pictures shown in this episode:
00:00:00 – Intro & Listeners of the Week
Our Listeners of the Week are our 137 Patreon Patrons, including Ron.
We also appreciate the notes of gratitude for keeping the podcast going from: Ron, George, and Chris. Thank you to everyone for continuing to listen!
In the news:
00:09:15 – News: 97″ OLEDs will be 4K
We thought they’d be super expensive 8K TVs, but apparently they’ll be 4K: https://is.gd/wBbCQM
00:14:33 – News: Sony QD-OLEDs in 2022
Looks like Sony will use quantum dot OLED panels from Samsung for an A95K Series: https://youtu.be/-5ISJlsZMqA
00:17:31 – News: Android 12 for TV
Finally, frame rate switching and a 4K interface! https://is.gd/g246mz
00:21:11 – PlayStation Now becomes a PS+ tier
PlayStation Plus will introduce 3 tiers in 2022 to compete with Xbox Game Pass and Cloud Gaming: https://is.gd/uhepDd
00:24:31 – Comment – Nathan: Acoustic Frontiers room planning
A suggestion to figure out your seating first and go from there: https://is.gd/nHgRla
00:29:59 – Ron: 75″ TVs and projector lamps
Ron’s second guessing if a TCL R635 was the right choice, and he also wants to know if he should heed his projector’s “replace lamp” warning.
– TCL R635: https://is.gd/vgKpnO
– TCL R646: https://is.gd/3nSIo3
– Hisense U7G: https://is.gd/Qd4jAc
– Sony X90J: https://is.gd/PgsyVt
– Sony 85″ X91J: https://is.gd/27VMp6
00:41:20 – George: Subs for shrinking room
George is downsizing his theater room, and it won’t be a rectangle anymore. How to orient things, and where to put his subs?
00:56:24 – Carlos: LG OLED Light Setting
What should it be for exactly 100 nits?
– X-Rite i1 Display: https://is.gd/wkJ1sb
01:01:31 – John: XLR vs DMX cables
John’s been using DMX/AES cables. Would switching to XLR cables make a difference? And can a pro Crown amp safely power the Monolith Encore speakers?
– XLR vs. DMX explained: https://is.gd/g0E2Y3
– Monoprice Monolith Encore B6: https://is.gd/QnzpoT
01:14:41 – Alvin: Perfecting phantom center
We revisit Alvin’s 2-seater setup to see if there’s any way to improve the stereo imaging further. And we discuss potential Atmos speaker upgrades and labeling.
01:28:52 – Chris: LG CX vs. C1
Any reason to pay more for the C1 OLED?
– HDTV Test C9 vs CX vs C1: https://youtu.be/1SdhfbAcqPs
01:32:18 – Karl: Speaker choices & dialogue clarity
We go over Karl’s updated “Vantablack Theater” plans, including: larger screen size, acoustically transparent screens, exactly which in-wall speaker models to go with, and expanding to 13 or more speakers. Then we dive into SlashFilm’s article about movie dialogue.
– Seymour AV AT screen materials: https://is.gd/7gHRyV
– Monoprice Monolith THX-365IW: https://is.gd/TBf0aQ
– Monolith THX-LCR: https://is.gd/RKxYU6
– Monolith THX-265IW: https://is.gd/gEXN1A
– Sonance MAG6: https://is.gd/En6IMW
– Sonance back cans: https://is.gd/fMUSjl
– Monolith HTP-1 16-ch Pre-Pro: https://is.gd/K8TJZS
– SlashFilm on movie dialogue: https://is.gd/95oWk1
01:57:10 – Mike: SVS Prime vs. Ultra speakers
Are the Ultras worth twice the price?