AV Rant #778: Entry-level Denon 8K
Denon announced new 8K Receivers, but not quite what we were hoping for. Lovesac StealthTech puts Harman Kardon speakers in your sofa. And Roku might drop YouTube.
Pictures shown in this episode:
00:00:00 – Intro & Listeners of the Week
Our Listeners of the Week are our 132 Patreon Patrons, as well as Jack C. for sending Rob an Amazon gift card.
We also greatly appreciate the notes of gratitude for keeping the podcast going from: Brandon, Cody, Raul, David, Weldon, Charles, and @SnoopAugieDog95. Thank you to everyone for continuing to listen!
In the news:
00:11:53 – News: Denon entry-level 8K AVRs
Denon officially announced three new 8K AVRs: https://tinyurl.com/hyarsn2t
00:17:17 – News: Lovesac StealthTech
Via Brandon N – Lovesac has “Sactional” sofas with speakers by Harman Kardon built right in: https://tinyurl.com/5u4s6rk
00:20:17 – News: Roku pulling YouTube?
Via Karl – Roku and Google are still fighting over YouTube TV: https://tinyurl.com/5n7uv688
00:23:51 – Comments:
– Brandon says we were right not to worry about port chuffing from his SVS subs. And the Atmos sound in “El Camino” probably isn’t a great test of overhead timbre matching, after all.
– Ryan reminds everyone that Black Friday sales might make Panasonic’s Ultra HD Blu-ray players much more affordable, like they were last year.
– Jonathan gives a shout out to RTheaters for their home theater seating selection and service: https://www.rtheaters.com/
00:30:42 – Noah L: Overhead speaker decisions
We tell Noah which overhead speakers (and back cans) to buy, where to place them, and how to label them.
– Monoprice Alpha 8″ in-ceiling: https://tinyurl.com/hm8ne3y2
– Monoprice 8″ back cans: https://tinyurl.com/6vyvtp55
00:37:21 – Jay: Denon S750H vs. S760H
We go over the short list of differences, and let Jay know which model he needs.
– S760H manual: https://tinyurl.com/3453czkh
00:40:54 – Martin & Shawn: Dolby Vision 4K Blu-ray players
Martin’s in Ireland, so there’s a Panasonic model for him that isn’t available in North America. But Shawn needs a US option.
– Panasonic UB450: https://tinyurl.com/s5t9vev7
00:52:24 – Jack: Home theater sectionals
Jack might need to “cry once, buy once” to get what he really wants. But we mention the home theater-centric options we’re aware of.
– HT Market: https://tinyurl.com/49azuyc3
– Valencia: https://tinyurl.com/yptr2jw6
01:01:53 – Lance: TVs turning on by themselves!
– Sofabaton U1: https://tinyurl.com/93vpvdr3
01:07:57 – John O: Adding Dirac
Adding Dirac to 2-channel & multi-channel systems, as well as HDMI override for Vizio TVs.
– Vizio service menu access: https://tinyurl.com/3vfxmccr
– miniDSP 2x4HD: https://tinyurl.com/c4bjhfxy
– 2x4HD Dirac upgrade: https://tinyurl.com/tsdzah4d
– DDRC-24: https://tinyurl.com/5ckjh9ar
– DDRC-88A: https://tinyurl.com/6emyxr8c
– Emotiva XLR to RCA adapter: https://tinyurl.com/h29d9n4t
– Cross-Spectrum calibrated UMIK-1: https://tinyurl.com/4rmfbsm7
01:22:42 – Nick: Monoprice Monolith desktop speakers
We share some speculation about the affordable Monolith desktop speakers: https://tinyurl.com/sd65yfcu
01:28:49 – Alex: Connecting external amp
Alex double checks he has all the connections & settings correct for expanding his Denon Receiver from 9 to 11 speakers.
01:33:43 – Infinite Gary: Best & worst bygone HT tech
We speculate about OLED TV sizes. Then we add to Home Cinema Choice’s list of Home Cinema’s Best & Worst Innovations: https://tinyurl.com/28hpfj68
01:40:53 – Dazz: SPL Meter
Why your Receiver might make a loud, metallic click sometimes, hanging panels in front of a window, and which SPL meters we like.
– Cross-Spectrum calibrated Galaxy CM-140: https://tinyurl.com/455f3jpn
– BAFX 3370: https://tinyurl.com/4eskavme
– Triplett SoniCheck: https://tinyurl.com/dmpcd2wf
01:47:06 – Paul & Weldon: Finding DIY panel materials
Insulation options for making DIY panels: Paul in the US, Weldon in Canada. Weldon also wants to know where to get images printed on acoustically transparent fabric in Canada. And Paul needs backer box options.
– DynaBox: https://tinyurl.com/ac49aa3e
– Fire hood: https://tinyurl.com/3ecxbdc2
– IsoStore QuietBox: https://tinyurl.com/f6hdureb