AV Rant #773: SVS Price Hikes
Prices for SVS’ lineup of speakers and subwoofers are going up across the board on Oct. 4th, and LG announced some huge, modular Direct View (DVLED) displays for the luxury home market to take on Samsung’s The Wall.
Congratulations to Andrew on joining https://avgadgets.com/ as a writer.
Check out DJ’s interview with Brett from Kaleidescape over at:
Pictures shown in this episode:
00:00:00 – Intro & Listeners of the Week
Our Listeners of the Week are our 133 Patreon Patrons.
We also want to thank Jonathan, Tom K, Gurinder, Karl, Max, Mike, DJ, Dave, Michael, and Jack for their notes of gratitude to us for keeping the podcast going. Thank you to everyone for continuing to listen!
In the news:
00:12:06 – News: SVS increases prices Oct. 4
All subwoofer and speaker models at https://www.svsound.com/ are going up in price.
Monoprice Monolith subwoofers remain listed at their current, lower prices, although almost all are currently out of stock: https://is.gd/puVS5Y
00:16:02 – News: Roku Streaming Stick 4K
Dolby Vision is added. $50. Ships Oct 14: https://is.gd/Co6fq3
00:16:26 – News: LG DVLED modular displays
LG’s Direct View LED modular displays are taking on Samsung’s The Wall in the luxury home market. Sizes range from 81″ to 393″, with prices from $70K to $1.7 million: https://is.gd/Q5pDS5
00:20:08 – Comments:
– Karl notes that JVC NX Series projectors are selling for quite high prices. Good news for those looking to upgrade to the new NZ Series. Not so great news for anyone looking for a deal on a used NX model.
– Anthony warns that his Sofabaton U1 wouldn’t connect to his Samsung S21 Ultra via Bluetooth, but it was fine with older phone models.
00:22:06 – Fred: Curtains, walls, paint & panels
Fred asks a host of questions about closing off a theater area with a large curtain, painting and acoustically treating the room, which projection screen to buy, and how far away to sit.
– Sherwin-Williams 707 gray: https://is.gd/yG9qAf
– Silver Ticket screen: https://is.gd/7Hjmcl
– Viewing distance calculator: https://is.gd/dqWmFo
00:36:26 – Infinite Gary: Speaker placement & WinAmp
Gary asks about conflicting speaker placement advice, whether he’s the only one who counts the speakers at the cinema, and what to do about podcasts that won’t play in WinAmp.
00:44:47 – Dazz: Mounting big speakers
Dazz wants to wall-mount some large speakers, and potentially move his projector mount to a section of his drop tile ceiling.
– Peerless NPT plate options: https://is.gd/111ANv
00:55:08 – Bertrand: Day-and-date movies at home
Bertrand asks about day-and-date movie releases at home, pre-ordering physical discs for an advanced Digital Copy, and potentially adding diffusion to his theater.
– Calibrated UMIK-1 from Cross-Spectrum Labs: https://is.gd/7g9Dtq
– GiK diffusion products: https://is.gd/MSTsmU
01:05:37 – John O: NVidia Shield vs. Roku Ultra
John has experienced differences in image brightness and volume level and wants to know why.
01:10:00 – Max K: Which dual subs to get
Max took his first REW measurements. Now he wants dual subs for better uniformity. But which models? We also delve into whether it’s worth worrying about bass output below 20 Hz.
– Rob’s REW tutorial: https://youtu.be/eOwnVbLg5Jo?t=6661
01:22:10 – Mike T: Sealed sub for 10 Hz bass?
Continuing from the previous question, we talk about infrasonic bass and subwoofer specs.
01:28:03 – Tom K: Bose Cubes for Atmos?
Tom asks about mountable Atmos speakers, a small 2-channel amp, and if the Apple TV 4K is still the best streaming device.
– Fosi TDA7498E: https://is.gd/c8RrqB
– AudioSource AMP100VS: https://is.gd/G8vGLG
– Dayton APA102BT: https://is.gd/iYVSZg
– OSD XMP100: https://is.gd/ud5xsX
– Aperion Novus A5: https://is.gd/NJOpha
– SVS Prime Elevation: https://is.gd/AJgIoX
– Ascend HTM-200SE: https://is.gd/npXANQ
– Monoprice HT-35 5.1 package: https://is.gd/6XMZhm
01:42:24 – Carlos P: If it’s loud, do you need EQ?
Carlos enjoyed his music more when he played it loud with Audyssey off. But we discuss his Audyssey settings, and some changes he could make.
01:50:30 – Dave P: Reference Volume & efficient speakers
We sort out Dave’s Onkyo Receiver’s Reference Volume setting and recommend some high sensitivity speakers.
– JTR speakers: https://is.gd/n2wLzw
– HSU horn and CCB8 speakers: https://is.gd/3H8ICg
01:55:50 – Nick B: SweetChaos Subwoofer Comparison Spreadsheet
We explain why the CEA-2010-A figures in SweetChaos’ spreadsheet aren’t identical to the websites that published them.
– SweetChaos Subwoofer Comparison Spreadsheet: https://bit.ly/SubwooferComparison