AV Rant #772: Denon Switch Up
There’s finally a way to have more than one HDMI 2.1 input on Denon & Marantz Receivers. SVS looks to enter a whole new subwoofer category. And Amazon is going to push a lot of mediocre TVs.
Pictures shown in this episode:https://flic.kr/s/aHsmWENaHX
00:00:00 – Intro & Listeners of the Week
Our Listeners of the Week are Mike and Jonathan for their PayPal donations, plus our 133 Patreon Patrons, including Rafael and Bertrand, as well as Infinite Gary for sending us a Digital Copy code.
We also want to thank Dave, Dazz, Jonathan, Rafael, Fred, and Bertrand for sending us notes of gratitude for keeping the podcast going. Thank you to everyone for continuing to listen!
In the news:
00:04:29 – News: Denon & Marantz HDMI 2.1 switch
The Denon AVS-3 & Marantz VS3003 are 3-in, 1-out HDMI 2.1 switches to expand the single 8K input on their 2020 AV Receiver and Pre-Pro models.
– FAQ: https://is.gd/Rh5dLb
– AVR Control Setup: https://is.gd/qz5nYP
– Audioholics: New Audyssey Update info: https://youtu.be/jFTBnPMySYc?t=2191
00:15:51 – News: SVS 3000 in-wall subwoofer
Via Clara – SVS won a CEDIA award for their first in-wall subwoofer, which appears to be based on the 3000 Micro.
00:25:06 – Comments:
– Jason mentions Elac’s Outlet Store: https://is.gd/g3XTmZ
– Nathan reminds us that UPS Battery Backups only spec 3-5 year lifespans for their replaceable batteries.
00:26:18 – Travis D: Zone 2 channel volume
We discuss why one speaker is louder than the other.
00:30:11 – Neil M: AVRant stamp of approval?
Neil has tinkered with his system so much, he barely enjoys using it anymore. We go over bass response, EQ, trim levels, Reference Volume, and his full range measurements to put his mind at ease.
00:56:36 – Dave P: Reference Volume confusion
Dave wants to know why there’s such a variety of test tone levels and media volume levels, and how to be sure he’s setting his volume correctly, as well as how much wattage he needs.
01:07:26 – Karl: JVC projector throw distance
Karl wants to make sure the room he’s building will be big enough. Then we discuss actors eating on screen, and Netflix’ Movie Room Remake.
– Projector Central Throw Distance Calculator: https://is.gd/Fl5Vvq
– Why Actors Never Actually Eat in Movies: https://is.gd/CX6quJ
01:18:11 – John: Upgrade BenQ HT3550 to JVC?
John wonders if the JVC NX5 or NZ7 will be worth it, and he also asks if expensive Pre-Pros make a big, audible difference.
– Joe N Tell: Dirac vs. Audyssey: https://youtu.be/juRvn9LBbMk
01:33:32 – Will T: Subwoofer Crawl
Will’s going from four small subs to one big sub, but he really only worries about one seat, so we discuss the procedure.
01:41:55 – Jonathan: SeaDen 4.0 plans
Jonathan’s rebuilding after a flood. We go over seating, ceiling construction, Atmos speaker positions, moving Surrounds, subs, and seating risers.
– Sonance MAG6R: https://is.gd/En6IMW
– Back cans: https://is.gd/Hlhy76
01:54:02 – Rafael G: Treat the room before new speakers
Rafael asked us for speaker recommendations, but we think his room is holding him back way more than his Polks.
– Photo examples of room treatments: https://youtu.be/kEeTMvygmZI?t=5340