AV Rant #769 – Morally Questionable Generator
Monoprice has some beefy new Monolith subwoofer models, and we read the Onkyo TX-RZ50 AV Receiver manual cover-to-cover so you don’t have to.
00:00:00 – Intro & Listeners of the Week
Our Listeners of the Week are Raf for hid PayPal donation, plus our 131 Patreon Patrons. We also want to thank Andrew for giving Tom permission to use any of his photos on https://avgadgets.com/ . And we greatly appreciate the notes of gratitude sent to us for keeping the podcast going from: Jason, Shannon, Victor, Ian, and Gurrinder. Thank you to everyone for continuing to listen!
Pictures shown in this episode: https://flic.kr/s/aHsmWtCxP4
Shout out to Aras for correcting our mix up of the movies The Piano and The Pianist. We definitely goofed on that one!
In the news:
00:08:59 – News: Monoprice Monolith 2,000 Watt THX Subwoofers
– The new 13-inch model is available now for $1,600: https://is.gd/f691RR
– A new 16-inch model for $2,000 is on its way: https://is.gd/plt76N
00:14:57 – News: Onkyo TX-RZ50 AV Receiver details
– The TX-RZ50 product page is up on Onkyo’s website, so we read the manual cover-to-cover and picked out the items of interest: https://avgadgets.com/onkyo-rz50-thx-certified-av-receiver-overview/
– DTS Play-Fi Home Theater is on its way to compete with WiSA: https://is.gd/9OQFiC
– Via Karl – Ohio State University researchers demonstrated plates with embedded metamaterial resonators that could improve soundproofing: https://is.gd/g1nAi9
00:23:51 – Comments:
– Paul figured out why Dolby Vision from his Apple TV 4K wasn’t making it to his TV, and learned a lesson about testing HDMI cables before putting them inside a wall.
– Gurinder compared a Sony A80J vs. LG CX OLED and was a little surprised by the winner.
00:27:31 – Bertrand: Swap Towers for Bookshelves?
He also asks if he should add Surround Backs, and where to hire a professional calibrator and instructor in Canada.
– Lion AV instructor Michael Chen: https://www.lionav.com/michael-chen/
00:34:29 – Patrick P: NextGen TV (ATSC 3.0) Tuner
– SiliconDust HDHomeRun Flex 4K: https://is.gd/hb7Guk
00:38:10 – Dave B: 30-foot HDMI Cable
– Ultra High Speed Fiber Optic: https://is.gd/BpMD1Y
– Premium High Speed Active Monoprice DynamicView: https://is.gd/exGf2I
– Premium High Speed Active Blue Jeans Cable Series-3A: https://is.gd/aUKCYn
00:44:28 – Alex Y: Speaker toe-in rules
00:55:11 – Mark N: Panamax MR4300 ground lug usage
00:58:43 – Jason S: Center within a cabinet
Does a Center speaker need to be sealed if it’s going in a cabinet? Jason also asks for speaker suggestions, and if it’s ok to use a speaker wire to RCA adapter for a subwoofer signal.
– Paradigm Founder 70LCR: https://is.gd/BCqtc6
– KEF R2c: https://is.gd/ii9Lda ; R3: https://is.gd/QxVqdC & R8a: https://is.gd/YFpiRY
– Ascend Horizon RAAL: https://is.gd/dXX3PA ; Sierra-2EX: https://is.gd/Qh37ty & Luna: https://is.gd/FBJlcj
– Martin Logan Motion 50XTi: https://is.gd/Xi8Vez ; 35XTi: https://is.gd/3X2RTk & FX: https://is.gd/bFhWlL
– SVS Ultra Center: https://is.gd/UqiUQZ ; Bookshelf: https://is.gd/XpQB1P & Surround: https://is.gd/0Fdwxs
– Aperion Verus III Grand Series: https://is.gd/osoicG
– Speaker wire to RCA adapter: https://is.gd/ACK21I
– Outlaw OAW4 Wireless Kit: https://is.gd/dISn3T
– SVS SoundPath Tri-Band Wireless Kit: https://is.gd/LvuWX8
01:21:23 – Infinite Gary: Dynamic Range Compression for dialogue
Gary also asks if the SVS PB-3000, Monolith 13, and JL Audio Fathom subwoofers would sound noticeably different in his room.
01:28:56 – Victor D: Environmental & moral concerns about generators
He also asks if he should get a dedicated network music player.
– Amazon Fire TV Cube: https://is.gd/L5nr4C
01:36:48 – Ian R: Reflected vs. emitted light
01:44:46 – Karl R: Anything better than Stewart Filmscreen?
01:51:25 – Jay A: OLED vs. Pioneer KuroThanks for listening. Check out our Facebook Page. Click here for our YouTube channel where you can see the recordings of our show videos. Download Tom’s FREE superhero-themed ebook Bob Moore: No Hero wherever ebooks are sold (or given away in this case). Visit Tom's website for download links as well as links for the two full-length followups - Bob Moore: Desperate Times and Bob Moore: Hostile Territory. Check out AVGadgets.com where Tom is the new Editor-in-Chief! Download Tom's NEWEST book, Touch of Pain from Amazon now!