AV Rant #766: Kenwood-Level Good
It’s the return of Lee Overstreet! Tom is away on vacation this week, so our favorite pinch hitter is back. And that means an extra long episode!
00:00:00 – Intro & Lee’s new Tesla
00:13:19 – Listeners of the Week
Our Listeners of the Week are our 128 Patreon Patrons, including Steve.
We also greatly appreciate the notes of gratitude for keeping the podcast going from: Kevin, Eric, Joey, Steve, Raf, Jorge, Dave B. & David F.
Thank you to everyone for continuing to listen!
Pictures shown in this episode:
00:17:18 – CORRECTION: David F. sorts out HDMI signals
In the news:
00:23:49 – HD Fury 8K VRROOM
The first HDMI 2.1 Matrix Switch & Processor is up for pre-order: https://is.gd/SIe66e
00:26:21 – Hisense U7G 4K LCD TV
is a value TV winner, especially for gaming features: https://is.gd/4H2L9j
00:32:35 – via JT: SPK618 delays
00:34:54 – Comment: Remote 12V Triggers
Infinite Gary & Rob came across the:
– Emotiva ET-3: https://is.gd/bTSLs9
– Pro-Ject Tuner Box S2: https://is.gd/JPonvH
00:36:53 – Dazz: KEF Q150 vs. Q350
Dazz also asks how six overhead speakers should be labelled, and request we talk him out of a speaker upgrade.
– HSU CCB-8: https://is.gd/6qGdq7
00:45:58 – John Q: Gain vs. level matching
John also asks about using an upmixer on Atmos soundtracks, and Arendal speakers.
– Subwoofers: Optimum Number & Locations: https://is.gd/Rk2ngW
– Arendal 1723 THX speakers: https://is.gd/c8WrBb
00:57:28 – Clint: Irregularly-shaped room design
Clint also asks about converting an ethernet cable into an RCA interconnect, and potentially powering a second setup in a different room with the same AV Receiver as his theater.
-Dolby Atmos Home Theater Installation Guidelines: https://is.gd/GYE9EP
– twisted pair cable to RCA jack: https://is.gd/H5OG49
01:13:16 – Kevin H.: Can you compare lumen specs?
Kevin also asks if he still needs individual battery backup UPS units if he has a whole house battery.
– Projector Central Reviews:
– Epson 5050UB: https://is.gd/WUZXvB
– Sony VW325ES: https://is.gd/Kpnqm9
– JVC NX5: https://is.gd/7wmluZ
01:24:04 – Eric R.: Photo examples of room treatments
Also, fellow Listener Andrew L. helps us explain Bookshelf vs. Tower speakers and when a room might be too small for Towers.
01:45:30 – Joey T.: Maximum Apple Music quality
We also discuss Audyssey and other digital processing limiting the sampling rate.
01:52:00 – Mike S.: Which amp for expanding to 13 speakers?
– Outlaw Model 5000X: https://is.gd/fjHynZ
– Emotiva BasX A5: https://is.gd/6MOQH3
01:55:34 – Steve W.: YouTube TV in 5.1?
01:59:50 – Infinite Gary: Blu-ray player no longer reads discs
02:03:46 – Brandon N.: Subs & HD Fury Dolby Vision
– SVS PC-4000 cylinder: https://is.gd/kivHl4
– SVS SB16-Ultra: https://is.gd/GRWDiG
– Power Sound Audio S1812: https://is.gd/Oh4T3W
– Rythmik F18: https://is.gd/NomX84
– HSU ULS-15 MK2: https://is.gd/SEjYL0
– How to use an HD Fury with a projector for Dolby Vision: https://is.gd/ZkXqKF
– Optimizing your projector for HDR: https://is.gd/DWS0mo
– HD Fury Vertex 2: https://is.gd/OYUYqQ
02:13:48 – Raf: Connecting a sub with power on
02:15:48 – Paul T.: All about HLGThanks for listening. Check out our Facebook Page. Click here for our YouTube channel where you can see the recordings of our show videos. Download Tom’s FREE superhero-themed ebook Bob Moore: No Hero wherever ebooks are sold (or given away in this case). Visit Tom's website for download links as well as links for the two full-length followups - Bob Moore: Desperate Times and Bob Moore: Hostile Territory. Check out AVGadgets.com where Tom is the new Editor-in-Chief!