AV Rant #761: Not Hardcore Enough
00:00:00 – Intro & Listeners of the Week
Our Listeners of the Week are Jonathan & Matt for their PayPal donations, plus our 126 Patreon Patrons, as well as Alex for telling Ascend Acoustics his speaker purchase was based on our recommendation. We also want to thank Alex & Jay for their notes of gratitude to us for keeping the podcast going. Thank you to everyone for continuing to listen!
Pictures shown in this episode:
00:10:04 – In the news:
– Designed for Xbox monitors promise features, but not performance: https://is.gd/zfpOhG
– Resolution Games quickly doubled back on Oculus Quest VR in-game ads: https://is.gd/IM00aC
– Via Karl – Netflix has a movie deal with Spielberg’s Amblin Partners: https://is.gd/TOcOvY
– Amazon Fire TV streaming devices finally have Peacock: https://is.gd/baWPCU
00:23:33 – Comments:
– Gurinder sorted out his projector noise issues with JVC, and continues to recommend using shipping pallets to build a riser.
00:26:28 – Jack R. found the j5create JCA374 USB-C Multi-Adapter
lets his Microsoft Surface Tablet output 7.1 audio when other USB-C to HDMI adapters didn’t: https://is.gd/DS2a4e
00:28:15 – Paul H.
asks about acoustic panel thickness, air gaps, ceiling treatments, and panels directly behind speakers.
– Acoustimac Knowledge Center: https://is.gd/WkM2Pl
– Acoustimac Coverage Calculator: https://is.gd/jb15In
– Acoustic Modelling: https://is.gd/lTebYM
– Air gaps explained: https://youtu.be/7RvBw1YAjCo
00:52:42 – Jonathan (the SeaDen Theater)
asks about listening modes: how to get straight decoding on his Denon, why we recommend the Game Mode, and whether we change modes for different genres, music, or games.
– Our previous Listening Mode discussions: 1) https://youtu.be/eOwnVbLg5Jo?t=5073 ; 2) https://youtu.be/T-WcecYy6eM?t=7187 ; 3) https://youtu.be/Hdy2Buj_T4w?t=2624 ; 4) https://youtu.be/Hdy2Buj_T4w?t=3222 ; 5) https://youtu.be/fh4K_sESG1U?t=6536
01:04:05 – Alex Y.
asks how to aim his Focal Little Bird Height speakers.
01:08:29 – John Q.
gets clarification about how we think he should wire and calibrate dual subs.
01:15:17 – John O.
double checks acoustically transparent fabric options from https://www.bagsoflove.com/custom-fabric-printing & https://realfabric.com/
01:20:32 – Jay A.
asks if Panasonic is still selling TVs in Canada, whether it might be worth importing one, and what’s up with HDR10+ dynamic metadata HDR.
– Panasonic Exits Canada: https://is.gd/5xBV7R
– HDTV Test on HDR10+: https://youtu.be/3-bmH6HN0mY
– Chris Heinonen’s HDR comparison: https://is.gd/qTEKLn
01:33:21 – Tim C.
asks about using his Graphic EQs: how to measure properly, what the target ought to be, and how to EQ a 2.1 system.
– Calibrated UMIK-1 from Cross-Spectrum Labs: https://is.gd/7g9Dtq
– miniDSP 2x4HD: https://is.gd/q8mXX9
01:47:11 – Henry C.
gets assistance perfectly aligning his projector’s image on a screen that isn’t perfectly flush and at 90 degrees.
01:53:15 – Reginald B.
still wants to convince us that Separates are superior to Receivers, and asks about upgradeability and specialty brands having superior components to mass market units.
02:03:57 – Tom’s story about his friend’s ReceiverThanks for listening. Check out our Facebook Page. Click here for our YouTube channel where you can see the recordings of our show videos. Download Tom’s FREE superhero-themed ebook Bob Moore: No Hero wherever ebooks are sold (or given away in this case). Visit Tom's website for download links as well as links for the two full-length followups - Bob Moore: Desperate Times and Bob Moore: Hostile Territory. Check out AVGadgets.com where Tom is the new Editor-in-Chief!