AV Rant #760: Flat Cat Sub
00:00:00 – Intro & Listeners of the Week
Our Listeners of the Week are Michael and Rafal (apologies for our pronunciation!) for their PayPal donations, plus our 126 Patreon Patrons.We’d also like to thank Jay, Lance, Mark, Dan, Brenda’s Husband/Tara’s Dad (Andrew), and Chad for their notes of gratitude for keeping the podcast going. Thank you to everyone for continuing to listen!
Pictures shown in this episode:
00:10:02 – In the news:
– HDTV Test got a pre-production Onkyo TX-RZ50 Receiver and found it has three fully functional HDMI 2.1 inputs. Plus they have info on other Onkyo, Integra, Pioneer, and Pioneer Elite AVR models, including pricing: https://youtu.be/u9zJOYLYX_U
– Oculus Quest VR games are getting ads, and Facebook wants to you know they thought of lots of ways your private data could be shared, but they won’t do it: https://is.gd/V9HkBM
00:18:13 – Francis A.
asks how Dolby Vision games handle frame-by-frame metadata, and which video output settings to use on his NVidia Shield.
– Dolby Vision games on Xbox Series X with an LG C1 OLED: https://youtu.be/4NXR5VQxo-s
00:30:45 – Reginald & Lance
want further discussion about Receivers vs. Separates, including: heat, longevity, cost over time, ease of upgrading, limiting variables for critical comparison, and the common belief that AVR pre-amp sections are a compromise.
00:46:36 – Bertrand
has updates about his bad experience buying from ElectronicsForLess in Canada, and which computer monitor he ended up with. Then he asks about leaving a subwoofer powered on all the time, controlling volume when using Apple AirPlay, setting HDMI-CEC power commands, Marantz’ “Smart Select” buttons, and which inexpensive battery backup UPS to buy.
– APC Back-UPS BE600M1: https://is.gd/ON8Tr0
00:56:00 – Nathan W.
asks if he should go flat panel or projector in his new room, and which flat panel if he goes that route.
– LG 77″ CX OLED: https://is.gd/OiyPJW
– Vizio P85QX-H1: at Costco: https://is.gd/2NJhCO ; at Walmart: https://is.gd/fCAQDO
– LG 83″ C1 OLED: https://is.gd/kstAeC
– Sony 85X91J: https://is.gd/RLb9Ng
01:02:32 – John Q.
asks if he should attempt to further improve his bass response after days of adjusting three subwoofers.
01:10:14 – Lance M.
talks more about his experience switching his PC12-Plus subs from ported to sealed mode. And asks how we think the trends of Hollywood storytelling will go, and how they’ll impact home theater.
01:23:52 – Dazz
gets a quick take on hanging an acoustic panel in front of a window. Then we discuss projector considerations and options for a stage in a gymnasium.
– Optoma ZU720T: https://is.gd/uApHfI
– ZU720TST (short throw version): https://is.gd/Pa2LpD
01:32:47 – Slate
gets us to narrow down his in-wall speaker options, although we can’t help suggesting a false wall.
– RBH Visage VM-616: https://is.gd/eOw5ad
– Monoprice Monolith THX in-walls: https://is.gd/vP9iEY
– Focal 300 IWLCR6: https://is.gd/bR7C9h
01:39:11 – Jack R.
asks what dB per octave slopes are applied by an AV Receiver’s crossover filters.
01:41:34 – Mark V.
asks for examples that will quickly tell him whether he’s experiencing 20 Hz bass or not.
– AudioCheck.net Sweep Generator: https://is.gd/0c9QmM
Our movie scene suggestions:
– Pulse – server room
– Edge of Tomorrow – opening test tones
– Dark Knight Rises – ice logo “heartbeat”
– Monster Hunter – first action scene, air moves before the monster bursts up from the sand
– War of the Worlds – pod emergence
01:46:44 – Infinite Gary
asks if the Trinnov Optimiser can audibly improve a single seat, and how we know, on a technical level, what the Movie vs. Music vs. Game versions of upmixers do to the signal.
01:52:31 – John O.
clarifies his Win ISD DIY subwoofer designs, asks about using the parametric EQ built into his Outlaw Pre-Pro rather than a miniDSP, and asks if a beach towel could work as acoustically transparent fabric for absorption panels.
– Win ISD overview: https://is.gd/4ccljZ
– My Fabric Designs: Performance Knit: https://is.gd/xoAwjN ; Silky Faille: https://is.gd/AFmglh
02:08:18 – Chad B.
asks which Pre-Pro his dad should get.
– Denon X3700H: https://is.gd/d6mQsv