AV Rant #758: Soured on Separates
Rob is WRONG. Apple TV 4K CAN output Atmos Music from Apple Music via HDMI. That information was clarified shortly after we recorded this episode: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT212182 . So when we get to J.R.’s questions about an hour and 20 minutes in, you can marvel at just how wrong Rob’s answer was!
00:00:00 – Intro & Listeners of the Week
Our Listeners of the Week are Jack, Lance, and a different Jack for their PayPal donations, plus our 124 Patreon Patrons, including Daniel, Jack & Andrew, as well as Gurinder who is hopefully getting his JVC projector noises sorted.
We also want to thank Jack & Andrew for giving Tom permission to use their photos on https://avgadgets.com/
And we appreciate the notes of gratitude for keeping the podcast going from Daniel, Jack, Jay, Alber, Shannon, Stephen, Andrew & Mike. Thank you to everyone for continuing to listen!
Pictures shown in this episode:
00:11:50 – In the news:
– Voxx International, the parent company of Klipsch, has agreed to buy Onkyo: https://is.gd/rU2pfJ
– Via Karl – Alamo Drafthouse Theaters has emerged from Chapter 11, and has plans to expand: https://is.gd/H51bi2
– Via Karl – AMC Theatres might acquire ArcLight Cinemas, including the Cinerama Dome: https://is.gd/ZfZRaU
– Via Mike – Plex can bitstream lossless audio from the Xbox’ Plex app after a pending Xbox update.
00:20:44 – Comments:
– Andrew B. shares his “Synthesis on the cheap” theater build results.
– Lance M. got unexpectedly good results after sealing his cylinder subs.
00:30:04 – Daniel C.
asks if he should use his Oppo 203’s HDR to SDR conversion with his BenQ HT3550i projector.
– Oppo 203 settings explained: https://is.gd/9ar2yY
– HDTV Test on Oppo vs. Panasonic: https://youtu.be/yvWEK0novkY
00:36:25 – Jack R.
asks about acoustic treatments, and how much insulation to put behind his false wall.
00:44:58 – Will T.
asks why the readings of his Audyssey mic don’t match his Triplett SoniCheck SPL Meter.
00:52:26 – Albert
upgraded his audio system, and asks if he should upgrade his subwoofers even further.
01:02:57 – Infinite Gary
asks about an annoying automatic listening mode change with is Lexicon Pre-Pro.
01:06:05 – Stephen M.
wants to know if big speakers will deliver the big sound of a full-sized cinema at home.
01:12:54 – J.R.
wants details on how to get maximum signal quality from Apple Music, including Atmos Music. This is where Rob was totally wrong about using an Apple TV 4K to output Atmos Music from Apple Music. And we rant about MQA.
– Apple Music Lossless: https://is.gd/d7B1VC
– Dolby Atmos Apple Music: https://is.gd/V99eVk
01:25:28 – Lance H.
gets some settings to make sure his LG C1 OLED is outputting the best audio signal to his Marantz Receiver, and reducing judder as much as possible.
– HDTV Test explains C1 picture settings: https://youtu.be/tMoevdh4fhg?t=742
01:34:02 – Andrew P.
asks how he should set his Monoprice Monolith HTP-1 Pre-Pro’s Max Output Level, which adjusts the output voltage of its pre-outs.
01:40:15 – Reginald B.
asks for proof that Separates do not sound better than Receivers.
– Head-Forum list of blind listening tests: https://is.gd/Lhw1rI
– ASR Forum re-post of Tom Nousaine vs. Steve Zipser: https://is.gd/qHFXcr
– Hydrogen Audio Forum list of ABX blind tests: https://is.gd/gReRCX
– ABX Double Blind Bibliography: https://is.gd/G9iAyf