AV Rant #755: One Hour for One Question
JVC projector owners, we need your help! Check out Gurinder’s question below. We’re trying to discern if the sounds his X790 makes when starting up are normal. Thanks!
Congratulations to the HT Guys, Ara & Braden, who are posting the 1,000th episode of the HDTV & Home Theater Podcast this week! An amazing milestone! http://www.htguys.com/
00:00:00 – Intro & Apology
Sorry to Keshaun for getting him mixed up last week with Kerry.
00:09:45 – Listeners of the Week
Our Listeners of the Week are Zachary, Jonathan, and Lance for their PayPal donations, plus our 127 Patreon Patrons, as well as Terry G. for talking us up big time to his sales rep at Projector People, Daniel C. for telling SVS his purchase was thanks to us, and Kenneth for reminding Rob that Denon & Marantz’ SPK618 HDMI 2.1 Adapter is now available: https://avgadgets.com/denon-marantz-hdmi-2-1-solution-spk618-adapter-free/
We also want to thank Joe, Terry, John, Tim, Dean, Lance, and Micheal for their notes of gratitude for keeping the podcast going. Thank you to everyone for continuing to listen!
Pictures shown in this episode:
00:15:00 – Correction: ToneWinner AT-300 Revisited
– R. Moon on YouTube informed us the affordable ToneWinner AT-300 Pre-Pro received a firmware update that added DTS:X Pro, including DTS Neural:X Pro Upmixing. So 13.1 speakers can be used with most signals.
00:17:02 – In the news:
– Apple Music will offer their entire catalogue in lossless ALAC format in June, plus they’re adding Dolby Atmos music content utilizing Spatial Audio: https://is.gd/6tBJ2l
– However, Apple’s own AirPods and HomePods won’t play lossless audio: https://is.gd/hkJOad
– Via Karl – Sennheiser’s consumer division has been sold to Sonova: https://is.gd/CVUFYB
– Amazon might buy MGM for $9 billion: https://is.gd/lAwjrR
00:29:34 – Comments
– Jay A. updates us on Quebec Acoustic’s movie theater-style seats, and his seating riser build plans.
00:32:36 – Joe K.
asks if a pair of projectors could be stacked in order to have enough light output for a huge screen.
– Projector Central on stacking projectors: https://is.gd/pNBpta
– LG ProBeam BU50NST: https://is.gd/rstmA4
00:40:18 – Gurinder
asks if the sounds his JVC X790 projector’s lens iris is making are normal.
– Example Video: https://is.gd/GSLUDc
00:45:27 – Tim T.
goes through almost the entire alphabet with a ton of questions. On construction, he asks about: soundproofing, door options, wall construction, and insulation. Inside the theater, he asks about: seating distances and risers, where he should run conduit, and we bring up HVAC concerns. He asks about electrical outlets and lighting. Then we get into the gear: screen options and size, which projector and mount, how many speakers to pre-wire for, which subwoofers, and which speakers. And we discuss: room treatments, Receiver options, battery backup UPS, and other odds and ends. Phew!
– Silver Ticket 120″ Fixed Frame White Screen: https://is.gd/7Hjmcl
– JVC RS1000 Projector: https://is.gd/6qhOYs
– Peerless PRG mount for JVC: https://is.gd/LlqSg6
– SVS Dual PC-2000 Pro Cylinder Subs: https://is.gd/LoRzXU
– Ascend Acoustics speakers: https://is.gd/2MbA3d
– APC Back-UPS Pro BR1350MS: https://is.gd/srpHHl
– Peerless Gear Rack: https://is.gd/EAqb0y
– Male Electrical Inlet: https://is.gd/0a9qw5
– Sherwin-Williams SW 7070 neutral grey paint series: https://is.gd/yG9qAf
01:36:02 – Lance H.
asks if adding two more subwoofers, for a total of four, might help the uniformity of his bass, despite his limited placement options.
01:44:09 – Bob
asks if there’s a way to create a full image backup of everything on his NVidia Shield, and how to power down its USB ports when it sleeps.
– Helium App: https://is.gd/mk2u0f
– NVidia Forum discussion on full system backup: https://is.gd/bkZZcJ
– TWRP (Team Win Recovery Project): https://is.gd/NXYZ6X
01:49:20 – Bertrand
asks about the PS5 vs. Xbox Series X as Ultra HD Blu-ray players, and whether either can stack up to the Panasonic UB820.
– HDTV Test on PS5 vs. XSX vs. Panasonic 4K Blu-ray Player: https://youtu.be/JFpakgvCKck
01:54:10 – Keshaun
clarifies what he meant by “channel separation”, which leads to a discussion about delineation and noise floor.