AV Rant #753: ToneWinner, Denon Bummer
Denon & Marantz have a workaround for their 8K Receivers that couldn’t pass through 8K. But it’s a huge missed opportunity, in our opinion. And we tackle the confusion surrounding the brands ToneWinner, Emotiva, and Jade Designs.
00:00:00 – Intro & Listeners of the Week
Our Listeners of the Week are our 123 Patreon Patrons, as well as Manny for talking us up to Silver Ticket. We also want to thank Tom H., Andy, and Maggie for the notes of gratitude for keeping the podcast going, and bringing a smile this week. Thank you to everyone for continuing to listen!
Pictures shown in this episode:
00:09:24 – In the news:
– Sound United announced the SPK618 HDMI 2.1 Adapter to fix the 8K and 4K/120 issues with their 2020 Denon & Marantz Receivers: https://avgadgets.com/denon-marantz-hdmi-2-1-solution-spk618-adapter-free/
– There’s a Sound United Training video to demonstrate: https://youtu.be/qJ1qLOkfRsE
– Yamaha says they’re still investigating their HDMI 2.1 models: https://is.gd/Ky0L24
– Via Karl – Apple and Amazon are facing lawsuits over Apple TV and Prime Video “purchases”: https://is.gd/ZC6CW6
– Via Karl – Locast will have to face the broadcast TV networks in court over using the internet to rebroadcast local TV stations: https://is.gd/VkVEpr
00:26:00 – Comments:
– Jay recommends Willy’s Wonderland: https://is.gd/Kcx5Ut
– Infinite Gary shares news about an upcoming 3-disc set of test patterns with helpful instructions from: http://spearsandmunsil.com/
00:29:48 – Apple TV Color Balance Results
– CNET’s David Katmaier posted his finding from testing the Apple TV 4K’s new Color Balance feature: https://is.gd/y3vwUg
00:32:36 – Terry G.
asks what the deal is with the Chinese brand ToneWinner, whose amplifiers bear a striking resemblance to Emotiva’s, and whether their AT-300 Pre-Pro is as good a deal as it appears to be.
– ToneWinner North American products: https://is.gd/nqckEn
00:47:07 – Michael
asks if his room treatments should be absorption only, whether bass traps are something different, how to treat over windows & doors, and whether he should worry about precise seating distance for speaker comparisons.
– Hearing is Believing video: https://youtu.be/dB8H0HFMylo
– GiK Freestanding panels: https://is.gd/IWXDCt
– Acoustimac Freestanding: https://is.gd/h8AwTE
01:06:42 – Jason S.
gets our take on VENUE by: https://www.xcinex.com/
01:12:27 – Will T.
gets recommendations for projector ceiling mounts with precision adjustments.
– Peerless PRG: https://is.gd/9d5oRr
– Peerless PRGS: https://is.gd/lzg4n3
– Gabor UPMP-1000: https://is.gd/Dhbx1f
01:18:23 – Jack R.
asks all about black backing layers for acoustically transparent projection screens.
01:32:03 – Ari
prompts a discussion about using a single subwoofer in a multi-purpose room, even when you’re the only listener who cares.
01:38:39 – Infinite Gary
asks about a strange phrase used in a What Hi-Fi speaker review, and whether we think multi-channel upmixing could make an extremely “dead” listening room sound ok.
01:49:18 – Dennis R.
asks about configuring his Marantz SR6014 Receiver plus an external amp to power some bass shakers, and just how much power the built-in amps are sending to his speakers.