AV Rant #748: Tom’s Facepalm
Quite the collection of video glitches this week! At least they were funny to us, if no one else. Might be a good episode to give our YouTube version a try: https://youtu.be/8LoRZOA5i_0
Check out Tom’s latest articles at https://avgadgets.com/ . And if you’re ok with Tom using your photos, remember to include written permission when you send them in. Thanks!
00:00:00 – Intro & Listeners of the Week
Our Listeners of the Week are Don, Kris, and Paul for their PayPal donations, plus our 124 Patreon Patrons, as well as Don for mentioning us to RBH, Mitch for talking us up to SVS and GiK, and Greg for telling Alan over at HT Market that he heard about HT Design recliners from us. We also appreciate the notes of gratitude for keeping the podcast going from Joe, Don, Mitch, Dan, Greg, and Jason. Thank you to everyone for continuing to listen!
Pictures shown in this episode:
00:11:50 – In the news:
– Black Widow and Cruella will be available on Disney+ day-and-date with their theatrical releases: https://is.gd/4mQuO8
– Regal Cinemas agreed with Warner Bros. to a 45-day theatrical window beginning in 2022: https://is.gd/1vPDqT
– Martin Logan released new Motion Ci in-ceiling speakers: https://is.gd/i4HvVt
00:23:06 – Comments
– Karl shared a lossy vs. lossless ABX listening test: http://abx.digitalfeed.net/spotify-hq.html#
– Jonathan F. discovered that not all smart speakers using the Google Assistant support YouTube Music: https://is.gd/47Bln4
– Byron shared some photos of his DIY TV stand.
00:28:20 – George M.
got confused by our two different methods of SPL matching dual subwoofers.
00:32:27 – Dwain
changed his projector and screen, and wants to know if he should have expected them to look so much darker.
00:35:38 – Mick
asks if he should move his Surrounds, how he should mount them, which Center to get, whether to add a second sub, and whether his Pioneer Receiver can support four overhead speakers.
00:47:48 – Don S.
asks for speaker suggestions that are smaller than his Legacy Focus Towers, but can still handle his large, open room.
– RBH SV661R: https://is.gd/YqKnsY
– RBH SV61R: https://is.gd/6a2kj4
– Focal Aria 936: https://is.gd/hABX39
– Martin Logan Motion 40i: https://is.gd/JzMD7p
– Revel Performa Be F226Be: https://is.gd/KVuKpl
00:56:01 – Chris M.
asks about the best way to orient and position his Ascend HTM-200SE speakers as Surrounds and Surround Backs.
– VideoSecu side-clamping wall mounts: https://is.gd/U5tOlu
01:04:52 – Dylan C.
has a wide room and a wide seating area, so he asks about distances between Front speakers, overhead speakers, and Surround positioning, as well as which in-ceiling speakers to buy.
– Monoprice Amber in-ceilings: https://is.gd/Pu60vX
– Monoprice metal back cans: https://is.gd/d16o1F
01:12:03 – Joe
gets $500 AV Receiver suggestions, and clarification about the formats HDMI-ARC can handle.
– Yamaha TSR-700: https://is.gd/ahaGtj
– Yamaha RX-V6A: https://is.gd/JUFm7R
– Denon X1600H: https://is.gd/Hbtc5N
01:17:58 – Stan L.
gets our take on using only a single speaker in mono for comparisons and reviews.
01:23:38 – Eddy & Mercedes
gets confirmation about how far back and how high his Surrounds should be, and how long we think he should wait before buying a new AV Receiver.
01:30:46 – Scott S.
asks if we think he should install an acoustically transparent screen, what type of speakers he should use as his Front 3, and what his Atmos configuration should be.
01:39:14 – Ryan L.
asks if Green Glue is snake oil, and if filling your seating riser with sand is genuinely useful.
01:46:57 – Nick B.
is questioning if it’s a good idea to buy a PS5 after Sony announced it’s closing the PlayStation Store for PS3, PSP, and PS Vita: https://is.gd/OD4klZ
01:53:02 – Greg L.
asks what he should do with his Surround Back speakers that are very distracting in his back row. Then we discuss acoustic panel placement, what to do about a small tear in his projection screen, and exactly how much better we think our own speakers would sound in Greg’s room vs. the speakers he’s using now.