AV Rant #747: Snyder Cut, GiK Art Panels & SVS 3000 Micro
00:00:00 – Intro & Listeners of the Week
Our Listeners of the Week are our 124 Patreon Patrons. And we also want to thank Mark, Zach, David, and Dylan for their notes of gratitude to us for keeping the podcast going. Thank you to everyone for continuing to listen!
Pictures shown in this episode: https://flic.kr/s/aHsmUBu5Vj
00:04:26 – Rob’s take on Zack Snyder’s Justice League
00:12:19 – Tom’s Art Panels from GiK Acoustics: https://avgadgets.com/gik-acoustics-acoustic-art-panels-no-filler-review/
00:17:43 – In the news:
– SVS launched their 3000 Micro subwoofer:
– Trials of Xbox games in Dolby Vision began for Alpha testers: https://is.gd/QfI2NM
– Sony revealed the Orb Controllers for the next version of PlayStation VR: https://avgadgets.com/sony-playstation-vr-2/
00:26:40 – Comments
– Ken shares the results of his theater build with an 85″ TV, 13 speakers, dual subs, and three rows of seats.
00:29:00 – Bobby
asks what size and type of display upgrade he should get.
00:32:34 – Gurinder
gets our take on asymmetrical side wall acoustic treatments, and high seat backs.
00:38:57 – Mike M.
asks about in-ceiling and on-ceiling speaker options for Atmos, 5.2.4 AV Receiver options, big TV options, and SoundBar options for a large space.
– Sonance MAG6: https://is.gd/En6IMW
– Sonance Back Cans: https://is.gd/aF24bn
– Monoprice Alpha: https://is.gd/cVBr1d
– Monoprice Metal Back Cans: https://is.gd/d16o1F
– SVS Prime Elevation: https://is.gd/AJgIoX
– Aperion Novus A5: https://is.gd/eoQwJm
– Elac OW42: https://is.gd/nnBxeV
– Denon X3700H: https://is.gd/xda5By
– Vizio 85″ P Quantum X: https://is.gd/zwiZ95
– Klipsch R-15PM: https://is.gd/rthRDk
– Klipsch R-51PM: https://is.gd/VVDhL7
00:46:56 – Kevin
asks how Dolby handles Front Wide speakers, and whether it’s better to have Front Wides or six overhead speakers.
00:52:25 – Mark R.
gets some tips on speaker and acoustic panel positioning.
– GiK Free Standing Panels: https://is.gd/IWXDCt
– Acoustimac decorative panels: https://is.gd/DmFfHM
01:00:49 – Ryan L.
gets our take on matching subwoofer cabinet and driver size in a four-subwoofer setup.
01:05:45 – Brian Z.
asks about battery backup, Jamo in-ceiling speakers, DIY backer boxes, and compromising on Atmos speaker placement.
– APC Back-UPS Pro BR1000MS: https://is.gd/2ocIOm
– IsoStore QuietBox: https://is.gd/76bDWO
01:13:04 – John M.
asks about in-ceiling Atmos speakers and 2-channel amps.
– See the Sonance MAG6 + back cans above
– Audio Source AMP100: https://is.gd/RWc3ON
– Dayton APA102: https://is.gd/iYVSZg
– Emotiva BasX A-300: https://is.gd/TzAife
01:16:25 – Andrew L.
gets an explanation of “AMT” tweeters, and various tweeter designs in general.
01:25:11 – Jack R.
asks where to find refurbished amplifiers. And we delve into calculating speaker sensitivity, and whether an external amp is needed.
01:31:49 – Joe T.
has Rob go over the settings for Anthem’s newest AV Receivers.
01:37:59 – Zach R.
asks if he’ll need a new Receiver with eARC when he gets an OLED, as well as the best connection path for streaming devices, and why lossless audio from Plex only seems to work on the NVidia Shield.
01:44:00 – David S.
has us help him decide which of his TVs, AVRs, Speakers & Subs, Streaming Sticks, Acoustic Panels, and Headphone gear he should sell, store, or bring with him when he moves to Japan.
– JDS Labs Atom Headphone Amp: https://is.gd/lx8pcS