AV Rant #742: ASR Flame ON! (Audio Science Review Rant)
1:31:59 – We’ve avoided discussing Audio Science Review. But the time has finally come. And our take might not be what you’d expect.
Our Listeners of the Week are Kevin for his PayPal donation, plus our 126 Patreon Patrons, as well as Infinite Gary for talking us up to Monoprice, and Dale for telling VideoSecu we recommended them. We also thank Mario for giving Tom permission to use his pictures on https://avgadgets.com/ .
Pictures shown in this episode: https://flic.kr/s/aHsmUvtbo8
In the news:
– Via Karl – Spotify HiFi lossless streaming is on the way: https://is.gd/r5ztCt
– Via John – Zack Snyder’s Justice League has a 1.37:1 aspect ratio: https://is.gd/CXH42r
– Gurinder found that changing his WiFi channel bandwidth improved stability, even though it lowered theoretical throughput: https://is.gd/7nKayz
– Byron followed his head (and our advice) instead of his heart with his RBH SV-661/R purchase.
– 0:20:45 Mario explains isolated ground outlets, hospital grade rating, and how he handles electrical conduit.
0:26:52 Kamran asks about Center speaker height, acoustic panel thickness and diffusion plates, manually changing settings after running room correction, subwoofer boominess, proper speaker trim level settings, HDMI-CEC, and his 2020 TCL TV losing signal when frame rate or dynamic range changes.
– Harmony Remotes (maybe not dead, after all): https://is.gd/kvuSEj
– Sofabaton U1: https://is.gd/6vvnNT
1:03:09 J.R. tried Room EQ Wizard for the first time, and got a bit spooked by his first graphs, so we weigh in.
1:16:35 Karl R. gets our take on Martin Scorsese’s essay in Harper’s Magazine: https://is.gd/2dWw5I
1:27:19 Nick B. asks about 12 Volt trigger setup for his pair of Rythmik subs.
1:29:38 Eric S. asks what to do about his broken Onkyo AccuEQ mic.
1:31:59 Just J asks about some specific Audio Science Review speaker reviews, which spurs on this week’s rant.
1:53:04 Infinite Gary gets clarification about which XLR-to-RCA adapters to use with the Monoprice HTP-1 Pre-Pro.
– Emotiva XLR-to-RCA (ironically, Monoprice’s own adapters would be a bad choice!): https://is.gd/742VsS
1:54:19 Andrew L. asks what source to use for streaming music.
1:56:05 Anonymous gets clarification about our 2-channel equipment recommendations.Thanks for listening. Check out our Facebook Page. Click here for our YouTube channel where you can see the recordings of our show videos. Download Tom’s FREE superhero-themed ebook Bob Moore: No Hero wherever ebooks are sold (or given away in this case). Visit Tom's website for download links as well as links for the two full-length followups - Bob Moore: Desperate Times and Bob Moore: Hostile Territory. Check out AVGadgets.com where Tom is the new Editor-in-Chief!