AV Rant #733: Audyssey Tutorial
Our Listeners of the Week are Bob and Jason for their PayPal donations, plus our 127 Patreon Patrons, as well as Bob for talking us up to SVS and encouraging anybody we save time and money to donate to the podcast, and Victor and Jason for giving Tom permission to use their photos over at https://avgadgets.com/ . We also appreciates the notes of gratitude for keeping the podcast going from Chris, Gurinder, Bob, Karl, Julian, Dazz, PyroBuilder, and Jason. Thank you to everyone for continuing to listen!
Pictures shown in this episode:
0:05:39 Tom shares his Oculus Quest 2 impressions.
In the news:
– Vizio launched their 85-inch P-Series Quantum X TV: https://is.gd/tXNTL3
– And Walmart has the 1st batch at the best price: https://avgadgets.com/deal-alert-85-vizio-p-series-for-3k/
– Lots of CES 2021 rumors: https://is.gd/9Fnvu6
– 0:20:37 LG announced new flagship “QNED MiniLED” LCD TVs that twist a different display technology’s acronym that requires explanation: https://is.gd/dxkoa7
– 0:23:20 Mario clarifies how to run an in-wall power extension cord.
0:25:11 Brandon N. & Andrew L. prompt an Audyssey mic placement tutorial after reading Tom’s article: https://avgadgets.com/digital-room-correction-systems-and-dsp/ , and we also discuss subwoofer placement: http://www.avrant.com/a-12-step-guide-to-setting-up-dual-subwoofers/
0:42:22 Nelson asks if his Denon Receiver is woefully underpowered.
0:49:48 Chris H. figured out why the projection screen at his church has a hot spot, and we discuss inexpensive, small, white speakers.
– Revel M8: https://is.gd/GEQDHm
– Jamo S 801: https://is.gd/bH3WWE
0:55:37 Gurinder gets some more false column advice and notes on acoustically transparent, dyed fabric.
0:59:09 Bob H. asks which Surround speakers to get to match his NHT Classic 2 Fronts, and asks about Dolby Atmos-enabled, upward-firing options.
– NHT SuperZero: https://is.gd/XtTLU5
– NHT MS Satellite: https://is.gd/fu9wNT
1:06:22 Romaine T. asks about UST projectors, standard throw options, and Rob’s memory.
– BenQ HT3550: https://is.gd/BrJjDa
– Epson 3800: https://is.gd/UDZesp
– Epson 4010: https://is.gd/QYy4wI
1:17:06 Infinite Gary asks if ceiling height determines the need for diffusion.
1:19:49 J.R. asks if you can plug two pre-amps into one amplifier by using both its RCA and XLR inputs.
1:27:37 Julian L. gets clarification about SVS vs. REL subwoofers, and advice on which subs to buy in the UK.
– Harman Subwoofers: Optimum Number & Locations white paper: https://is.gd/Rk2ngW
– BK Electronics: https://www.bkelec.com/HiFi/Sub_Woofers.htm
1:39:13 PyroBuilder asks about Audyssey vs. manual speaker setup, and how to sort through all the available listening modes in an AVR.
1:50:24 Curt G. tries to help his brother-in-law with a neighbor’s complaints about bass.