AV Rant #660: Open Up! AV Police!
Our Listeners of the Week are Tom, Paul, and Stefan for their donations, as well as our 87 Patreon Patrons, including: Josh V., Bastian from Germany, and Justin B. We also thank Tue for his additional website help, and Tom K. for mentioning us to SVS when he bought a PC13-Ultra.
Pictures shown in this episode: https://flic.kr/s/aHsmGRGGFh
0:08:03 Tom shares his first Dolby Cinema experience.
In the news:
– Via Carlton B. – JVC is adding Frame Adapt HDR to their 4K D-iLA projectors: https://hdguru.com/jvc-4k-d-ila-firmware-update-enhances-hdr10/
– TCL’s Smart Screen is another vertical TV: https://is.gd/dVdLKo
– Panasonic’s MegaCon 55″ dual layer LCD: https://youtu.be/BCjMLU5v9bs
– Panasonic transparent OLED: https://youtu.be/fkQWJnAYqds
– Joseph H. shares a laugh over a cable break-in service: https://www.morrowaudio.com/products/break-in-service
– Robert G. noticed Spears & Munsil’s UHD HDR Benchmark how-to articles: http://spearsandmunsil.com/3rd-edition-articles/
0:22:38 Rob W. gets our TV and speaker suggestions, plus a Harmony remote programming idea.
– Sony 85″ X900F: https://is.gd/jhxFjl
0:42:10 Ted M. wants to know what the word “dynamics” means to us.
0:45:08 Dave B. finds out where to buy replacement projector lamps.
– Projector Lamp Genie: http://www.projectorlampgenie.com/us/home.php
– Projector Central Recommended Retailers: https://www.projectorcentral.com/lamp-suppliers.htm
0:48:42 Chris H. gets confirmation for his Denon X1500H choice.
0:53:00 Mark M. asks all about auto-setup, Reference Volume, safe SPL, Dynamic EQ, running subs “hot”, and Auro-3D.
1:12:10: Dave F. asks about outdoor Sonos speakers.
– Sonos by Sonance Outdoor: https://www.sonos.com/en-us/shop/outdoor-speaker-pair.html
– Sonos Move: https://www.sonos.com/en-us/shop/move.html
1:15:49 Ian E. gets clarification about digital audio sampling.
– Xiph.org: https://xiph.org/video/
1:19:54 Justin B. wonders if JVC’s LX-NZ3 is too good to be true, and shipping something large from Australia.
1:30:10 Christian S. speculates about HDMI delivering power.
1:32:42 Infinite Gary asks when Samsung’s QD-OLED TVs will arrive and in what sizes. Plus, is a special screen needed for IMAX Enhanced content?
1:38:55 Travis D. wants a PC headphone connection with a silent noisefloor.
– JDS Labs OL DAC: https://jdslabs.com/product/ol-dac/
– JDS Labs Atom Amp: https://jdslabs.com/product/atom-amp/
– Emotiva PT-100: https://emotiva.com/collections/pre-amps/products/pt-100
1:42:47 Clara B. asks about HDMI-CEC, CEDIA 2019, and when’s the best time to buy.
1:52:57 John M. gets more details about movie vs. music vs. game versions of decoders and upmixers.
1:57:09 Kev S. wants to better understand each step of auto-setup and EQ in case he wants more manual control.Thanks for listening. Check out our Facebook Page. Click here for our YouTube channel where you can see the recordings of our show videos. Download Tom’s FREE superhero-themed ebook Bob Moore: No Hero wherever ebooks are sold (or given away in this case). Visit Tom's website for download links as well as links for the two full-length followups - Bob Moore: Desperate Times and Bob Moore: Hostile Territory. Check out AVGadgets.com where Tom is the new Editor-in-Chief! Download Tom's NEWEST book, Touch of Pain from Amazon now!