Monoprice has some beefy new Monolith subwoofer models, and we read the Onkyo TX-RZ50 AV Receiver manual cover-to-cover so you don’t have to.
00:00:00 – Intro & Listeners of the Week
Our Listeners of the Week are Raf for hid PayPal donation, plus our 131 Patreon Patrons. We also want to thank Andrew for giving Tom permission to use any of his photos on https://avgadgets.com/ . And we greatly appreciate the notes of gratitude sent to us for keeping the podcast going from: Jason, Shannon, Victor, Ian, and Gurrinder. Thank you to everyone for continuing to listen!
Pictures shown in this episode: https://flic.kr/s/aHsmWtCxP4
Shout out to Aras for correcting our mix up of the movies The Piano and The Pianist. We definitely goofed on that one!
In the news:
00:08:59 – News: Monoprice Monolith 2,000 Watt THX Subwoofers
– The new 13-inch model is available now for $1,600: https://is.gd/f691RR
– A new 16-inch model for $2,000 is on its way: https://is.gd/plt76N
00:14:57 – News: Onkyo TX-RZ50 AV Receiver details
– The TX-RZ50 product page is up on Onkyo’s website, so we read the manual cover-to-cover and picked out the items of interest: https://avgadgets.com/onkyo-rz50-thx-certified-av-receiver-overview/
– DTS Play-Fi Home Theater is on its way to compete with WiSA: https://is.gd/9OQFiC
– Via Karl – Ohio State University researchers demonstrated plates with embedded metamaterial resonators that could improve soundproofing: https://is.gd/g1nAi9
00:23:51 – Comments:
– Paul figured out why Dolby Vision from his Apple TV 4K wasn’t making it to his TV, and learned a lesson about testing HDMI cables before putting them inside a wall.
– Gurinder compared a Sony A80J vs. LG CX OLED and was a little surprised by the winner.