AVRant #152: Interview with Shane Rich of RBH Sound
You’ve asked for it, and now you have it – an interview with the guy that designs the speakers for RBH Sound (and their sister companies Destination Audio, EMP Tek, and Status Acoustics). Shane Rich is the Technical Director and Vice President of Engineering at RBH. Topics include:
- A bit of history about Shane.
- Shane’s design process.
- How long it takes to go from idea to shipping.
- Speaker specs – what should consumers focus on?
- Too much versus too little amp power.
- What does it mean when you say an amp is clipping?
- Amplifier size in subwoofers.
- Ported vs. Sealed speakers and stuffing ports.
- How RBH measures their speakers (see below for the equipment Shane uses out in the field).
- What is driver breakup and driver compression?
- How a crossover affects the performance of a speaker.
- Supertweeters – fact or crap?
- Studio Monitors vs. Home Theater speakers.
- The EMP Impression Series speakers – price, value, and design.
- What is on the horizon for RBH and EMP.
Here is the portable test gear Shane uses with his laptop (you’ll be surprised):
Thanks for listening and don’t forget to vote for us at Podcast Alley.