AVRant #139: Video Calibration with Gregg Loewen of LionAV
In this special edition of AV Rant we talk to Gregg Loewen of LionAV. Gregg is, among other things, one of the instructors at the THX Video Calibration Certification class that Tom took. First, a history of Gregg and why he knows what he’s talking about (he does). Topics include.
- What is video calibration and why would you want to do it?
- Biggest problems with displays.
- What Joe Consumer can do to improve their display with minimal investment.
- When you might think about calling in a professional.
- Is your “cheap” display “worth” the cost of calibration?
- What are the different calibration controls on a typical display?
- RBG calibration without a meter? What about those color filters?
- Importance of picking the right display type.
- Tips for shopping for your display to ensure maximum calibration options.
- What does an ISF certified display really mean?
- Importance of room.
- Calibration checkups – when and how much.
- Transposing settings from one device to another – when is it OK?
- Why High Def is not all that.
Thanks for listening and don’t forget to vote for us at Podcast Alley.