AVRant #126: Interview with Auralex
Tom interviews Gavin Haverstick of Auralex Acoustics about getting the most out of your room. You had questions and Gavin is one of the best in the business. Topics covered included:
- Differences between soundproofing and treating.
- Can you soundproof an existing space?
- Why use diffusion and where you should place it.
- What’s the target response for a room?
- Are room treatments forever?
- Gavin’s suggestions for no/low cost room treatments.
- Are room treatments subjective?
- Active versus passive absorbers and how they work.
- What is decoupling and why would you want it?
- Soundproofing – what can you do to an existing room?
- STC – what it is and how to read it.
- What Gavin does when he works on a room.
- What is Auralex doing to make room treatment easier?
Thanks for listening and don’t forget to vote for us at Podcast Alley.
Some of the products/sites mentioned:
- Room Analysis
- SonicPrint Panels
- SpaceArray wooden diffusers
Other sources for room treatments/information:
- GiK Acoustics (Tom has the Tri-Traps in his home theater)
- Ready Acoustics (the Chameleon panels treat Tom’s podcast room – they also sell raw materials for DIY)
- Real Traps
- Echo Busters
- Tom’s DIY absorber article part 1, part 2
- SPI (known to sell fiberglass insulation to the masses – perfect for DIY jobs)
- Audioholics’ Acoustics Section (great place to look for question/answers/suggestions)