AV Rant #830: Lumagen, MadVR, and You
Pumping the brakes on some hype this week. 8K TVs are not banned. Netflix changes. Denon & Marantz Dirac plans. And just who needs an outboard video processor, anyway?
Pictures shown in this episode: https://flic.kr/s/aHBqjAbBfC
00:00:00 – Intro & What We Watched
Some progress on Rob’s apartment! And Tom watched Shadow and Bone, She-Hulk, Rosaline, and New Mutants.
00:15:35 – Listeners of the Week
Our Listeners of the Week are Stefan and Andrew for their PayPal donations, plus our 139 Patreon Patrons.
We also appreciate the notes of gratitude for keeping the podcast going from: Shawn, Keshaun, Infinite Gary, Dazz, Mark, Stefan, Kris, and Rafael. Thank you to everyone for continuing to listen!
In the news:
00:18:03 – News: EU Energy Efficiency Update
TVs will need to use less power, out-of-the-box, in 2023: https://bit.ly/3s5UYFG
00:22:16 – News: Changes at Netflix
– Basic bumps up to 720p: https://bit.ly/3TAGmKk
– Basic w/ Ads starts in November: https://bit.ly/3DaXzVi
– Profile Transfer aims to reduce password sharing: https://bit.ly/3goF3Q0
00:24:00 – News: Denon & Marantz Dirac Plans
Audioholics got the skinny re: Dirac Live, Bass Management & Spatial Room Correction: https://bit.ly/3MNgTef
00:28:56 – CORRECTION: Matt Poes – Dirac Spatial Room Correction
Some clarification about last week’s graphs and descriptions.
00:32:21 – Comment: Kris – Screen Innovations Woes
An issue with his expensive screen, and a lack of responsive service.
00:35:19 – Infinite Gary: Better Processors, TV Availability
When new streaming boxes come out, does audio or video quality improve? And will those EU power regulations impact North American TV releases?
00:39:17 – Shawn: 77″ OLED or 85″ QLED?
The classic balance of size, picture quality, and price. Also, do built-in apps sound as good as streaming boxes?
– 83″ LG C1 OLED: https://bit.ly/3SdqIU6
– 85″ Samsung QN90B: https://bit.ly/3yQ2zfu
00:50:10 – Keshaun: Single Top Front, Single Top Rear?
If you’re limited to 2 overhead speakers, why not Front & Back instead of Left & Right?
00:57:45 – Scott: Upgrade CD Player?
Would something newer than his Wadia 861 sound better?
– Panasonic UB9000: https://bit.ly/3CSvyR4
01:02:39 – Mark: Nearfield Subs for Tactility?
He asks about driver size and number. We make a different suggestion.
– ButtKicker LFE: https://bit.ly/3glzRfM
01:08:08 – Stefan: Higher End AVRs & Speakers
What do we like in the $5K – $6K range? AVR or Pre-Pro? In-wall or On-wall? And thoughts on BossoBass: https://bit.ly/3TgkeVw
– Monoprice HTP-1: https://bit.ly/3TgUcBM
– Denon A1H: https://bit.ly/3eKb8l8
– Anthem MRX 1140 8K: https://bit.ly/3EUdqJ6
– Arcam AVR21: https://bit.ly/3MJmz96
– Perlisten S-Series: https://bit.ly/3D9yfPb
– Perlisten In-walls: https://bit.ly/3TdpfhV
– JTR: https://bit.ly/3VDvgWx
01:28:07 – Rafael: Foam Traps & Printed Panels
We detail affordable corner bass trap options, and where to get images printed on fabric.
– Acoustimac DIY Kits: https://bit.ly/3D86vL4
– Frames only: https://bit.ly/3Tb8sMe
– Rob W. Panels: https://bit.ly/3MHG2qT
– Acoustimac Art Panels: https://bit.ly/3MHGplh
01:34:27 – Jonathan & Ilango: Lumagen & MadVR
Are these expensive video processors really all they’re cracked up to be?
01:53:16 – Karl: Dolby Cinema at Home & D-BOX
Are Barco & MadVR’s claims about reference HDR true? And is D-BOX at home a new thing?Thanks for listening. Check out our Facebook Page. Click here for our YouTube channel where you can see the recordings of our show videos. Download Tom’s FREE superhero-themed ebook Bob Moore: No Hero wherever ebooks are sold (or given away in this case). Visit Tom's website for download links as well as links for the two full-length followups - Bob Moore: Desperate Times and Bob Moore: Hostile Territory. Check out AVGadgets.com where Tom is the new Editor-in-Chief! Download Tom's NEWEST book, Touch of Pain from Amazon now!