AV Rant #825: Get Roasted
Gonna be a long while yet before Rob’s back in his apartment and back to normal audio quality. Still makeshift for now.
Pictures shown in this episode: https://flic.kr/s/aHBqjA6UqE
00:00:00 – Intro & What We Watched
Rob watched Thor: Love and Thunder. Tom watched Morbius, and is keeping up with The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power.
00:17:45 – Listeners of the Week
Our Listeners of the Week are Herb for his PayPal donation, plus our 138 Patreon Patrons, as well as Nathan for sending a Canadian movie code to Rob.
We also appreciate the notes of gratitude for keeping the podcast going from: Greg, Julian, JT, Bret, Ryan, Eric, Herb, and Gurinder. Thank you to everyone for continuing to listen!
In the news:
00:23:04 – News: Denon AVR-A1H 8K Flagship AVR
15 amps built-in, 4 independent sub outs, optional Dirac, for $6,500: https://youtu.be/oDTW9N8n0jg
00:25:59 – News: TCL R655 6-Series TVsMini-LED QLED TVs with more zones of local-dimming, 144 Hz VRR, and Roku: https://bit.ly/3Bg0d9Z
00:27:47 – News: 77″ QD-OLEDs in 2023
Samsung Display showed 77″ Quantum Dot OLED panels: https://bit.ly/3deg9BD
00:28:34 – News: Sonos Sub Mini
A smaller, cheaper Sonos subwoofer: https://bit.ly/3qBqdrl
00:30:12 – Kiran: Subwoofer DSP
Do subwoofers need DSP? Does it increase cost?
00:35:17 – Leighton: From Plasma to…What?
After many years using a 50″ plasma TV, what should he get?
– LG C1 OLED: https://bit.ly/3eQ9n5j
– LG C2 OLED: https://bit.ly/3B8XeQs
– Sony A90J: https://bit.ly/3qBCAnd
– Sony A80K: https://bit.ly/3S6zHH4
– LG G2 OLED: https://bit.ly/3S2zaFR
– Samsung QN90A QLED: https://bit.ly/3qIC72A
00:41:41 – Gurinder: Leftover Insulation in Speakers?
Can you use leftover panel insulation to stuff DIY speakers?
00:43:11 – Greg: New Speaker Daydreams
Greg’s leaning KEF. How do HSU’s CCB-8’s stack up?
– HSU CCB-8: https://bit.ly/3S1o5VB
– SVS Prime Series: https://bit.ly/3U6Ni2K
– Aperion Novus: https://bit.ly/3Leba0g
– Ascend Signature: https://bit.ly/3xpDp6q
00:56:26 – Julian: Small Panels, HEOS, UB420 Options
Julian asks about using regular fiberglass insulation in smaller absorption panels, any ideas on why his parents’ HEOS isn’t working, and how his Panasonic UB420 Options Menu audio settings should be set.
01:08:30 – JT: Subwoofer Crossover Knob
Why should your sub’s crossover knob be turned all the way up?
01:14:06 – Bret: Gaming TV & SoundBar
Suggestions for a friend’s gaming setup.
– LG C1 OLED: https://amzn.to/3LcuMSo
– Samsung QN90A QLED: https://amzn.to/3BkpqAh
– TCL R655: https://bit.ly/3BfTEUW
– https://avgadgets.com/slap-echo-home-theater-101/– https://avgadgets.com/making-your-own-acoustic-panels-a-tutorial/– https://avgadgets.com/fluance-ai41-powered-bookshelf-speakers-review-soundbar-killer/– SVS Prime Wireless Pro (coming soon): https://bit.ly/3eQgdIg
– Vizio M512a-H6: https://bit.ly/3qA0csC
01:20:59 – Ryan: Black Wall, DIY Riser, Attic Heat
Ryan asks about blacking out his front wall, making a DIY seating riser, keeping a thermal break from his attic when installing in-ceiling speakers, and cooling a gear closet.
– Sherwin-Williams Tri-Corn Black: https://bit.ly/3dcnq51
– SeymourAV Baritone Velvet: https://bit.ly/3BGJttU
– https://fabric-wall.com/track/– https://avgadgets.com/should-i-paint-my-home-theater-walls-black-why-or-why-not/– https://avgadgets.com/three-tips-to-add-a-riser-to-your-home-theater/– DIY Riser Build: https://youtu.be/ELTIWzn-VAc– HT Market Risers: https://bit.ly/2ISCiDB
01:32:31 – Eric: Corner Bass Traps, Atmos Satellites
We examine Eric’s converted garage theater to discuss if he needs corner bass traps, and whether he should return his Monoprice THX Satellites.
01:45:47 – Infinite Gary: FM Radio Delay, 2.1 Sub Crossover
Why his FM station lagged behind AM, and how to manually adjust your subwoofer’s crossover when you have no bass management.
01:48:14 – David: Slim Fronts over Fireplace
A challenging room with a built-in design leads to a Speaker Bar suggestion with tempered expectations.
– KEF HTF8003: https://bit.ly/3U8gsyy
– SVS SoundPath Tri-Band Adapter: https://bit.ly/3U6VUq6
01:53:41 – Mitch: Very Specific Atmos Positions
We expand on last week’s mention of Dolby’s Studio vs Cinema vs Home Atmos speaker placement guidelines.
– Cinema Atmos: https://bit.ly/3RYSaVI
– Studio Atmos: https://bit.ly/3QHwCfq
– Home Atmos: https://bit.ly/3QJTif5