AV Rant #818: Will We Recommend Flat Passive Subs?
Monoprice expanded their Monolith THX Certified In-Wall Speaker lineup, and Amazon Prime Video finally updated their user interface. We get back to what we’ve watched over the past two weeks.
And check out our interview with Jason Ehrlich, Sales Development Specialist, from Kinetics Noise Control, Inc. We delve into soundproofing and acoustic treatments: http://www.avrant.com/av-rant-817-interview-with-jason-ehrlich-from-kinetics-noise-control-inc/
Pictures shown in this episode: https://flic.kr/s/aHBqjzYFsE
00:00:00 – Intro Rob watched Miss Peregrine’s Home For Peculiar Children, and has thoughts on Season 1 of Star Trek: Strange New Worlds. He’s keeping up with The Orville: New Horizons, Only Murders in the Building, and Better Call Saul. And he started The Afterparty, and Arcane: League of Legends.
Tom watched the new Resident Evil series on Netflix, and finished Ms. Marvel.
00:20:09 – Listeners of the Week Our Listeners of the Week are Aras for his PayPal donation, plus our 138 Patreon Patrons, as well as Greg for letting AV Science know we frequently recommend them. We also appreciate the notes of gratitude for keeping the podcast going from: Curt, Aras, Gurinder, Dazz, and Kris. Thank you to everyone for continuing to listen!
In the news:
00:23:10 – News: Monolith THX-465IW & THX-275IW Larger & smaller Monoprice Monolith THX Certified in-wall speaker models: https://bit.ly/3PBQsby
00:27:00 – News: Amazon Prime Video’s New User Interface Amazon Prime Video is finally rolling out an updated interface: https://bit.ly/3ISlh9P
00:31:10 – Mike: Sub Y-Splitter & Woven Screens
Should you Y-split a subwoofer cable and use both RCA inputs for additional gain? What’s our preferred paint color for home theaters? And why isn’t Silver Ticket’s woven, acoustically transparent screen our top pick?
– Sherwin-Williams “Gray Screen” paint: https://bit.ly/3v2bcBo
– Elite Screens AcousticPro UHD: https://bit.ly/3RLYrEV
– SeymourAV Center Stage: https://bit.ly/3oiNX2h
00:44:48 – Dazz: Wall Mounts, Thin Bezels & Huge Subs
Dazz asks about speaker wall mounts for large speakers, thin bezel projection screens, which high output subs to buy, and how to determine the best placement for dual subs in an irregularly-shaped room.
– Mount-It MI-SB37: https://bit.ly/3PFcYAv
– Silver Ticket Thin Bezel: https://bit.ly/3yXhqUm
– HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP: https://bit.ly/3v2k8ac
– Monolith M-15 V2: https://bit.ly/3cxYWm9
– Dayton iMM-6 mic for phones: https://bit.ly/3ofRAGr
– AudioTools iOS: https://bit.ly/3RM17lX
– AudioTool Android: https://bit.ly/3aWg3NR
01:03:29 – Ilango: Open Room, Soundproof Ceiling?
With the ceiling being refinished anyway, how worthwhile would it be to beef it up when the room is open?
01:10:46 – Greg: Selling Gear
What’s the safest, easiest way to sell used home theater equipment?
– AVS Forum Classifieds: https://bit.ly/3J03EFd
– AV Science Classifieds: https://bit.ly/3v3rEl6
01:16:09 – Amelia: Thin, Passive Subs?
Amelia has concerns about physical space behind an acoustically transparent screen, as well as running power, signal, and control wires.
– SVS SB-2000 Pro with App: https://bit.ly/3RO2RLD
– Blue Jeans Subwoofer cable: https://bit.ly/3Omn6gu
01:25:30 – Bill: More Power?
With an X3700H, and a full 7.2.4 configuration, does he need more amplifier power?
– Emotiva BasX A3: https://bit.ly/3v2wK15
01:32:07 – Curt: Worthwhile Projector Upgrade
How much more does he need to spend for a “noticeable” black level and contrast upgrade over his BenQ HT2050A?
01:36:30 – Raf: Where Does the LFE Go?
If all speakers are set to Large, and subwoofers are set to None, does the LFE get sent to all speakers?
01:39:48 – Aras: Paint & Dolby Atmos Guidelines
We discuss paint finish and coverage. Then we dig into Dolby’s latest speaker placement guidelines.
– Sherwin-Williams SuperPaint: https://bit.ly/3PpwhOm
– Dolby Atmos Home Theater Installation: https://bit.ly/3OoEWzg
– Dolby Atmos Speaker Setup: https://bit.ly/3B1Iyo5
01:48:40 – Gurinder: Closing Off a Room
Is it worth using all the soundproofing techniques just on an opening while the rest of the room remains the same?
01:51:38 – Shawn: Smaller, Clearer, Louder Speakers
Shawn wants to decrease his speaker size, but increase their clarity, refinement, and output.
– HSU CCB-8: https://bit.ly/3v3vUkp