AV Rant #805: The Trouble with Dirac
Lee steps in for Rob this week so Tom is doing the show notes! Be prepared to be underwhelmed! Or just whelmed. Whatever. We talk about some AV stuff, some other AV stuff, and a save a couple of listeners a ton of money.
Check out Tom’s newest novel, “Touch of Pain”: https://amzn.to/3JRVzSu
Our Listeners of the Week are our 145 Patreon Patrons, as well as Chris for finding what the hackers left and Ara for talking us up to Gary Yacoubian.
And we appreciate the notes of gratitude for keeping the podcast going from: Dan. Eric, Matt, Augie, Gurinder, Patrick, and Aras.
Ryan is looking for a projector, screen, and speakers for $8k. Here ya go!
- Silver Ticket STR-169120 120″ screen
- Epson 5050UB
- Denon X3700H
- Denon AVR-X3700H
- Fosi TDA7498E 2-channel amp
- Monoprice Monolith M-10 V2 subs
- Speakers – Ascent HTM-200SE or SVS Prime
Raf wants some info on how big of a dip on a frequency response graph is audible and what does that “After” graph that Audyssey puts out really mean?
Dan is having problems with Dirac on his new Arcam Receiver. Rob helps from vacationland.
- Tutorial: https://youtu.be/mbN8xYrSXfY?t=140
Justin would like a projection setup for backyard movie nights. Do we think the Elite Screens Yard Master 2 is a good choice? What about a projector? Tom and Lee like the Epson Home Cinema 880 for a lot of reasons.
Matt wants an Ultra Blu-ray player. Should he get an Xbox or a Panasonic UB420?
Karl is thinking about getting a Lumagen or MadVR. Tom and Lee weigh in. Plus, he asks about Kaleidescape.
- Rob just wanted to make sure the link to Filmmaker IQ’s excellent video on the history of aspect ratios in cinema gets mentioned. The notion that 2.35:1 is the shape of “most movies” is just…wrong!