AV Rant #791: Tom and Rob Disagree!
We kick off with an Eternals movie review before tackling Netflix’ price hike, warning against updating your NVidia Shield right away, and another Monolith Series release from Monoprice. You’ll also want to stick around until the end for an impromptu venting session that lives up to our AV Rant name!
Pictures shown in this episode:
00:00:00 – Intro & Listeners of the Week
Our Listeners of the Week are Jason and Mark for their PayPal donations, plus our 136 Patreon Patrons.
We also appreciate the notes of gratitude for keeping the podcast going from: Dale, Jay, Todd, Bret, Zach, Augie, J.R., and Paul. Thank you to everyone for continuing to listen!
In the news:
00:13:16 – News: Netflix Price Increase
North American subscriptions cost more: https://is.gd/CwuHVo
00:18:04 – News: NVidia Shield gets Android TV 11
It’s still a version behind, and you might want to wait before updating.
– Android 11 on Shield: https://is.gd/O2M8qN
– Not Android 12 yet: https://is.gd/nGCfh1
– Via John – Android 11 on Shield breaks Plex Servers and causes streaming issues: https://is.gd/LC8Die
00:20:51 – News: Monolith THX 5.1 Package
An affordable, THX Certified Sub/Sat system from Monoprice.
– Monolith M518HT: https://is.gd/OdYTN4
– THX 8″ Subwoofer: https://is.gd/XhyZ0t
– THX Satellites: https://is.gd/BjidGU
00:23:19 – Comment: Augie – Projectors don’t need UPS
His projector’s fan shuts off immediately, so maybe battery backup isn’t so important?
00:28:18 – Brad: Bigger Room, Bigger Subs?
When a partition wall comes down, are his current subs still enough, and can he use the placement he wants?
00:38:47 – Jason: Popping sound
Will this decoding artifact damage his speakers?
00:42:28 – Bill: ALR, UST, AT Screen?
We discuss what Bill needs in a projection screen.
– Elunevision Aurora Evo 8K Perforated ALR: https://is.gd/UZDBy1
– Elunevision Aurora 4K Perforated ALR: https://is.gd/4OBM8F
– Elunevision AudioWeave Evo 8K Recessed In-ceiling: https://is.gd/OCRea6
– Elite Screens Evanesce AcousticPro UHD Recessed In-ceiling: https://is.gd/beTlOx
00:54:20 – Monty: Double Checking GiK
We go through the suggestions GiK Acoustics gave for Monty’s room, plus screen size, TV stand options, Ascend speaker models, and subwoofer placement.
– GiK Room Planning: https://is.gd/ja4an7
– Stands and Mounts TV cabinet options: https://is.gd/h93DHZ
– Ascend Duo LCR: https://is.gd/f2yvjK
01:19:23 – Jay: HDMI, Door Seals, Screens & Starfields
We discuss long Ultra High Speed HDMI cables, door jamb & automatic door bottom seals, questioning projection screen quality control, and starfield ceilings.
– Cable Matters Certified Optical UHS HDMI: https://is.gd/5ZpN8S
– Monoprice Certified Optical UHS HDMI: https://is.gd/SS1Qce
– Zeskit Certified UHS HDMI (USA): https://is.gd/hU5xol
– Zeskit HDMI (Canada): https://is.gd/YIIE2s
– Soundproofing Company Door Jamb Seals: https://is.gd/pSWMdu
– Soundproofing Company Automatic Door Bottom: https://is.gd/XYKmrT
– Trademark Soundproofing Door solutions: https://is.gd/EeLc5t
– Seymour AV Screens: https://is.gd/IX33Mp
– Night Sky Murals: https://is.gd/Sv87GQ
– Sunlite A19 Black Light Bulb: https://is.gd/qZJqax
– Samsung The Freestyle projector: https://is.gd/IitElx
01:37:53 – Todd: Dolby Vision 4K Blu-ray Player
Are there any Ultra HD Blu-ray players that do Dolby Vision properly for under $250?
01:41:33 – Bret: Oppo ARC lip sync
Ways to fix an Oppo 105’s lip sync.
– HD Fury Arcana: https://is.gd/IugNPp
01:45:08 – Karl: Eye Fatigue & Bias Lighting
Does bias lighting help prevent eye fatigue, but ruin immersion?
01:52:15 – J.R: Bi-amp & Full Range Experiments
We go over how to use Denon’s dual Speaker Presets to try different configurations without losing your current calibration.
01:58:18 – Tom & Rob Banter
J.R.’s planned experiments spark a rant and conversation about audiophilia, blind testing, online hype, hi-res music, and testing things for yourself.