AV Rant #789: Chris-ception
Welcome to a whole new year of your home theater and AV questions, answered! We recorded this episode prior to the first full day of CES 2022, so it’s only pre-CES news for this week from LG, Samsung, and JVC.
Pictures shows in this episode:
00:00:00 – Intro & Listeners of the Week
Our Listeners of the Week are Chris for his PayPal donation, plus our 133 Patreon Patrons, including Terry, Bertrand, and Chris H.
Chris also bought a screen from Seymour AV and let them know it was thanks to our recommendation.
00:08:18 – Old Dolby Diagrams
James dug up Dolby diagrams from 2001 that were a big help for Tom’s article on AVGadgets: https://avgadgets.com/everything-wrong-with-dolby-speaker-layout-diagrams/
– Dolby Guide to Home Theater 2001 PDF: https://docdro.id/ILW6sZH
And we appreciate the notes of gratitude for keeping the podcast going from: Brandon, James, Martin, Eric, Terry, Andy, Chris, Mark, and Bertrand.
Thank you to everyone for continuing to listen!
In the news:
00:11:37 – News: LG OLED.EX
Behind the scenes, LG Display is working to make OLED TVs brighter and lighter: https://avgadgets.com/lg-announces-the-next-gen-oled-ex/
– press release: https://is.gd/MM8ZWz
00:13:58 – News: LG A2, C2 & G2 OLEDs
Smaller, bigger, Evo, and Brightness Booster.
– HDTV Test coverage: https://youtu.be/4a1l6U3ajAY
– Digital Trends: https://youtu.be/6viyZaLF26A
– CNET: https://youtu.be/kyo48Xd0EFU
00:18:28 – News: Samsung QD-Display, Neo QLED & Micro LED
QD-Display was behind closed doors, Neo QLEDs get Atmos but not Dolby Vision, and Micro LED gets smaller.
– Eyes on QD-Display: https://is.gd/mfGfAp
– 2022 Neo QLED lineup: https://is.gd/Dv33NM
– Smaller Micro LED screens: https://is.gd/TZukW5
00:22:25 – News: JVC NP5 / RS1100 4K projector
The $7,000 lamp-based “entry-level” gets 4K/120 but no 8K e-shift: https://avgadgets.com/jvc-dla-np5-4k-rojector-ships-march-2022/
– Price increase coming in Feb: https://is.gd/w1SafR
00:26:06 – Comment: Michael – Eyes & Mics
Michael discovered surprising reasons why his TV started looking yellow, and his trim levels were way off.
00:28:16 – Comment: Jason – Denon X4300H passes Dolby Vision
Jason says his Denon X4300H passes through Dolby Vision from his NVidia Shield Pro just fine.
00:30:25 – Brad: Testing sound leakage
Continuing to convert a garage and test the soundproofing.
00:41:03 – Billy & Dwain: Battery Backup UPS
Billy gets JVC projector mount & HDMI cable suggestions. Then we discuss battery backup & cooling.
– Peerless PRG-JVC: https://is.gd/DfYtVZ
– Monoprice Certified UHS HDMI 15′: https://is.gd/ns5JYy
– Monoprice Certified optical UHS HDMI 65′: https://is.gd/SlkKnw
– APC Gaming Performance UPS: https://is.gd/jDSsix
– APC BGM1500: https://is.gd/e8k8RU
00:56:14 – Jeff: Remove bathroom?
We revisit Jeff’s guest house and still don’t think he should take out the bathroom.
01:01:49 – Jason: False Walls & Installers
Continuing basement theater plans, including false wall construction, accessing gear in a nook, ceiling tiles, speaker placement, and evaluating the advice of AV installers.
01:24:18 – Jeremy: Small room, Big speakers?
Jeremy’s brother envisions big speakers & big power, but then worries the room is too small.
– Focal Sib Evo Atmos: https://is.gd/Gvu0e6
– Sib Evo Atmos satellites: https://is.gd/d7L2JX
– Sib Evo wall mounts: https://is.gd/hSpFkL
– Onkyo TX-NR7100: https://is.gd/1byRit
01:37:12 – Jay: Polk upgrade?
Should Jay upgrade his entry-level Polks with more Polks?
01:39:49 – Infinite Gary: Two Immersive Configurations?
We describe how to use a Denon X6700H to have two physically distinct speaker setups for ideal Atmos vs ideal Auro-3D.
01:46:26 – Brandon: Identical Measurements & Arendal
If two speakers have identical frequency response, do they sound identical? And our take on Arendal speakers.
01:59:05 – Terry: Large Sub Bottoming Out?
We try to troubleshoot the scary “slap” Terry occasionally hears from his HSU VTF-3 Mk4.