AV Rant #784: Thin is In
Samsung’s quantum dot OLED TVs get a marketing name. But don’t expect them to rival LG OLED prices and sizes any time soon. We also dig into the confusing limitations of certain streaming apps on certain streaming devices, and why even an HD Fury can’t help.
Pictures shown in this episode:
00:00:00 – Intro & Listeners of the Week
Our Listeners of the Week are Jacob for his PayPal donation, plus our 135 Patreon Patrons, including Ron.
We also appreciate the notes of gratitude for keeping the podcast going from: Mike, Gurinder, Jeremy, Nathan, Joe, Gav, and Ron. Thank you to everyone for continuing to listen!
In the news:
00:12:56 – News: Roku firmware broke YouTube TV app
Via Karl, Roku OS 10.5 created so many problems, they rolled it back: https://is.gd/oX2XGe
00:15:36 – News: Samsung QD-Display
Samsung is using QD-Display as the name for their quantum dot OLED TVs that have begun mass production, but with reportedly low yields.
– QD-Display: https://is.gd/XmszWK
– QD OLED mass production: https://is.gd/BSNkn5
– 34″ monitor and low yields: https://youtu.be/AB7Lbia7Nlc
00:23:01 – Comment: Erod – Stewart Filmscreen manual masking
– Stewart WallScreen manual masking: https://is.gd/7lxtwL
00:25:20 – Comment: Bertrand – Fist Test
If you want to approximate angles, Rob suggests using your compass and level apps on your phone instead.
00:27:14 – Michael: 3-in-1 TV stands
We include an easier-to-find alternative.
– TransDeco 3-in-1 stands: https://is.gd/VmmBxl
– Universal VESA TV stand: https://is.gd/hq5uLy
00:33:06 – Patrick: 65″ TV under $1000
Our recommendation for a well-lit room.
– TCL R646: https://is.gd/s8iqJY
00:39:10 – Jeremy & Anthony: Sony HT-A9 alternatives
SoundBars aren’t cutting it, so is the Sony HT-A9 the solution? We recommend more traditional options.
– KEF HTF8003 Passive SoundBar: https://is.gd/0q4ibY
– KEF T-Series: https://is.gd/FOy1uy
– Focal Sib Evo: https://is.gd/wSrqfA
– Jamo Studio Series S 5.0: https://is.gd/euwC0o & S 8 ATM Atmos: https://is.gd/Fe3QnN
– KEF Q-Series: https://is.gd/EuMLPm
– Focal Chora Series: https://is.gd/vcarnz
00:58:29 – Mike: One $2K sub or two $1K subs?
Tom and Rob have different takes on what to choose in an open concept room.
01:06:22 – Karl: THX Certified experimental theater
Karl asks about room dimensions and speaker choices for his experimental installation that he wants to make as black as Vantablack.
– Monoprice Monolith THX Ultra in-wall speakers: https://is.gd/vP9iEY
– Legacy Audio Silhouette Pro on-walls: https://is.gd/fwnq5X
01:18:20 – Dwain: Cat6 or fiber optic?
We discuss long HDMI runs, which of Dwain’s speakers we think he should use in a large room, on-ceiling Atmos speakers, and why we bought external amps.
– Monoprice SlimRun AV Certified Ultra High Speed fiber optic HDMI: https://is.gd/SlkKnw
– Klipsch RP-140SA: https://is.gd/gF4a0u
– Klipsch RP-500SA: https://is.gd/vQ06FB
01:31:24 – Nathan: Panasonic SDR w/ Rec.2020 output
Nathan’s 1st gen JVC 4K HDR projector looks better if it’s just in SDR all the time, but he wants wide color.
– JVC recommended HDR settings: https://is.gd/MuxZEr
– Panasonic UB420 & UB820 SDR w/ Rec.2020 settings: https://is.gd/82QJhQ
01:34:10 – Joe: Compact Sub with deep bass output
Joe wants to move his Aperion Bravus II 10D subwoofer into his office, and replace it with something of a similar size that can play lower.
– SVS SB-3000: https://is.gd/8BGV8G
01:39:51 – Infinite Gary: Atmos-enabled Module placement
How high or low can upward-firing Modules go?
– PSB Imagine XA: https://is.gd/bJX5D4
01:44:32 – Gurinder: Ceiling upgrades?
HVAC issues were discovered. So with the ceiling down, now’s the time for any upgrades.
01:47:59 – Gav: No Atmos from Netflix on Fire TV Stick 4K
Crazy, confusing limitations are explained.
– Supported Netflix features on Amazon Fire TV devices: https://is.gd/naQdOd