AV Rant #775: New Epson Laser Projectors
Did ya miss us? We’re back after an extremely rare week off for us. We weigh in on the YIO Remote 2 on Kickstarter, and why we suspect Epson’s new 4K laser projector models actually use native 1080p resolution panels.
And we’ll have a second episode in just a few days to catch up on what we missed!
Pictures shown in this episode: https://flic.kr/s/aHsmWU1c9T
00:00:00 – Intro & Listeners of the Week
Our Listeners of the Week are Matt and Ben for their PayPal donations, plus our 131 Patreon Patrons, including Karl M., as well as Scott S. for sending Rob a thank you gift directly.
We also thank David for giving Tom permission to use his photos on https://avgadgets.com/
And we greatly appreciate the notes of gratitude and encouragement sent to us by: Derek, Junior, Nathan, Curt, Brandon, Billy, Karl, and Matt. Thank you to everyone for continuing to listen!
In the news:
00:09:51 – News: YIO Remote Two
Another universal Hub-based remote comes to Kickstarter, but we’re a bit cautious about it: https://is.gd/eTEpx7
Youthman hosted an hour+ live stream about it: https://youtu.be/-L5vM8cEyX0
00:14:51 – News: Epson LS11000 & LS12000
Epson Europe/UK will launch two new 4K laser projectors this year, and they’ll come to North America in 2022. We explain why we think they’re actually using 1080p resolution LCD panels that flash four times per frame.
– LS11000: https://is.gd/l98t4a
– LS12000: https://is.gd/7u0Dxb
00:20:55 – News: Disney & Scarlett Johansson settle lawsuit
Out of court, and they look forward to working together again. Who could have guessed? https://is.gd/C1s1bs
00:23:03 – Jonathan: Wall plates & manual EQ
Will wall plates degrade signal quality? And can you use the manual EQ in your Receiver, but still use its auto-correction features?
– Speaker + HDMI wall plate: https://is.gd/9GFpZj
– Speaker wire wall plate: https://is.gd/d56dQv
00:34:29 – Infinite Gary: HDR off but keep 4K?
Gary finds HDR unpleasant. Can he turn it off, independent of all the other video & audio features?
– Eye pain might be your TV’s fault: https://is.gd/YUoeTz
– HD Fury Dr. HDMI 4K: https://is.gd/mTOOsS
00:38:36 – Bill P: Simple tactile transducer hook up?
Audyssey EQ’d Bill’s subs. Is there an easy way to send an un-EQ’d signal to his bass shakers?
00:46:37 – John O: Big DIY absorption panel plans
John asks about printed fabric options, and we go over his plans for making very large, frameless absorption panels.
– Contrado printed speaker fabric: https://is.gd/9BkrAH
– Duct butter: https://is.gd/cwlJHF
– No Frame edge coating: https://is.gd/G36apX
00:56:13 – Derek: Jamo Studio S & $300/pair alternatives
Should Derek get Jamo Studio S speakers, with their Atmos-enabled Modules, or a more expensive alternative. Plus, 2-ch amp options.
– Joe N Tell Jamo S 803 Review: https://youtu.be/zyeO79DDuuE
– Jamo S 5.0 package: https://is.gd/b0JsxT
– Jamo S 8 ATM Modules: https://is.gd/Lyx449
– Ascend HTM-200SE: https://is.gd/npXANQ
– Sonance VP62 in-walls: https://is.gd/PLJLPU
– Sonance MAG6 in-ceiling: https://is.gd/En6IMW
– MAG6 back cans: https://is.gd/Hlhy76
– HSU horn-loaded speakers: https://is.gd/3H8ICg
– Klipsch RP-140SA Atmos Modules: https://is.gd/gF4a0u
– Fosi TDA7498E: https://is.gd/VhcNCK
– AudioSource AMP100: https://is.gd/hXsnfT
– Dayton APA102: https://is.gd/iYVSZg
– OSD XMP100: https://is.gd/ud5xsX
01:10:54 – David S: KEF LS50 vs. RBH 661-SE
Smaller in size for a smaller room: is this an upgrade, downgrade, or lateral move?
01:14:35 – Junior: Full basement room planning
Junior has a million questions about: soundproofing & construction, HVAC, carpet, seating, layout, door placement, speaker placement, and more.
– HT Design Waveland recliners: https://is.gd/FMWIff
01:51:49 – Scott S: Equilateral triangle?
Exactly how far apart should speakers be? And how far should they be from a wall?
01:58:41 – Brandon N: SVS subwoofer port chuffing?
Do the online haters have a point? Will PC-4000 subs be ok? And why do we rarely recommend the 16-Ultra Series?