AV Rant #771: New 2021 JVC Projectors
JVC’s 2021 Laser 8K e-shiftX Procision & Reference Series projectors have been announced! We go through the specs & features of the DLA-NZ7 / RS2100, NZ8 / RS3100 & NZ9 / RS4100. And later in the podcast, we compare them to the previous NX Series and discuss whether they’re worth an upgrade.
Pictures shown in this episode:
00:00:00 – Intro & Listeners of the Week
Our Listeners of the Week are Dave for his PayPal donation, plus our 132 Patreon Patrons, as well as David for sending a Movies Anywhere code for Tom to use.
We also want to thank Neil for giving Tom permission to use his photos on https://avgadgets.com/ .
And we greatly appreciate the notes of gratitude sent to us for keeping the podcast going from Steven, James, Shannon, Gurinder, Mark, and Neil. Thank you to everyone for continuing to listen!
In the news:
00:10:40 – News: 2021 JVC Laser 8K e-shiftX projectors
JVC announced new Procision (NZ) and Reference Series (RS) projector models, and we go through all the details.
– JVC projector lineup: https://is.gd/wNGaKm
– The Screening Room JVC webinar: https://is.gd/MFilRj
00:23:53 – News: Locast shut down
Via Karl – A District Court judge ruled against Locast’s copyright exemption defense, leading them to halt all operations: https://is.gd/U3HYEw
00:26:19 – Comments:
– Jason wound up purchasing a dual tape deck for his son from a pawn shop.
00:27:37 – Marc F: Denon switches to ESS DACs
Denon used to use AKM DACs, but since the fire at AKM’s factory, they’ve switched to ESS. Will it make a difference?
00:30:26 – Monty N: Wireless earphones for iPhone
We give our recommendation for around $200.
– Apple AirPods Pro: https://is.gd/QBDKH7
– TCL MoveAudio S600: https://avgadgets.com/tcl-moveaudio-s600-in-ear-earbuds/
– Sennheiser Momentum True Wireless 2: https://is.gd/xULh8u
– Sony 1000XM4: https://is.gd/rMKCU3
– Anker Spirit Dot 2: https://is.gd/mE3POa
00:38:37 – Marc S: Sony X900F Dolby Vision issues
00:45:09 – Steven T: In-wall speaker options
We also mention some on-wall options for Surrounds, and discuss using insulation above a drop tile ceiling as acoustic treatment.
– Aperion Clearus in-walls: https://is.gd/vsltoL & Novus on-walls: https://is.gd/9kOTZf
– Elac Debut 2.0 in-walls: https://is.gd/fjATda & on-walls: https://is.gd/nnBxeV
– HSU in-walls: https://is.gd/Dr4aKY
– KEF in-walls at Accessories4Less: https://is.gd/vxkVMk
– KEF T-Series on-walls: https://is.gd/lHPpYJ
– Monoprice Alpha in-walls: https://is.gd/vY37dC
– Monoprice Monolith THX in-walls: https://is.gd/TBf0aQ
00:58:09 – James C: Where to sell speakers & amps
– The Music Room: https://tmraudio.com/sell-your-gear/
– AVS Forum Classifieds: https://is.gd/5gOCrj
01:05:49 – Dwain: Non-ideal acoustic panel placement
01:07:59 – Jonathan: RIP SeaDen Theater 🙁
Jonathan is forced to rebuild his theater after a flood. He asks about expanding his setup to 5.2.4 plus Zone 2, upgrading to a Dolby Vision Ultra HD Blu-ray player, and the future of physical discs.
– Fosi TDA7498E 2-ch amp: https://is.gd/VhcNCK
– Panasonic UB820: https://is.gd/3GcTxn
01:23:22 – Luke: All about Dolby Vision
Playing Dolby Vision discs when your player only outputs HDR10, TV-led vs. player-led, and how different does it really look?
01:37:07 – Karl: Worth upgrading to the new JVC Laser projectors?
01:44:28 – Sam P: Step-by-step DIY acoustic panels
– Lonely Rocker: https://youtu.be/tLk6fQVcoSw
– 42Pursuit: https://youtu.be/tPEouyiEt3Q
– Fence Lattice: https://is.gd/GQbKk7
01:49:50 – Brandon N: Stereo panning examples
– The Eye by Yello: https://is.gd/4oGyCf
– Tom’s Spotify playlist: https://open.spotify.com/playlist/3vJv5V2obnr3OrNeqadPdb
– Panning Pink Noise: https://youtu.be/oPCgHm80vo4
– AudioCheck tests: https://is.gd/dgtya0
01:52:39 – Mark V: Stop window vibration
– Neoprene Sheet: https://is.gd/htuuJ5