AV Rant #768: I Already Forgot
If you find the right serial numbers, you can buy a Denon or Marantz Receiver that already has a working HDMI 2.1 port built-in. And TCL’s new model numbers are definitely Tom’s favorite thing; just look at this episode’s title!
00:00:00 – Intro & Listeners of the Week
Our Listeners of the Week are our 128 Patreon Patrons, including Daniel and Marc. Check out Marc’s woodworking projects & tutorials: https://thewoodwhisperer.com/ & podcast: https://woodtalkshow.com/
We also appreciate the notes of gratitude for keeping the podcast going from: Ted, Jorge, Jack, Marc, Shannon, Jay, Gurinder & Bertrand.
Thank you to everyone for continuing to listen!
Pictures shown in this episode: https://flic.kr/s/aHsmWqreYD
In the news:
00:09:25 – News: Denon & Marantz HDMI 2.1 port fix
– AVRs & Pre-Pros manufactured after May 2021 have a functioning HDMI 2.1 port, no SPK618 adapter needed: https://is.gd/8NHLQw
00:13:40 – News: TCL R546 & R646 4K TVs
– TCL has new 2021 5-Series & 6-Series models: https://is.gd/TZqaUU
– R635 remains HDMI 2.0 only: https://is.gd/o1HBok
– R646 gains two HDMI 2.1 inputs: https://is.gd/YBjftM
– R648 is 8K: https://is.gd/XlJW2L
– R546 switches from Roku to Google TV: https://is.gd/stqqdI
00:20:39 – News via Karl: Criterion’s first Ultra HD Blu-ray releases
Six classic movies arriving on 4K disc: https://is.gd/MJGeOW
00:23:26 – Comments:
– Ted recommends an article from Pro Tools Experts about Apple Spatial Audio and Atmos for Music: https://is.gd/6Q6cyy
00:25:45 – Jeremy: Audyssey Editor App settings
He also has us look at his measurement graphs to discuss further room treatments and subwoofer tuning.
00:43:26 – Andrew L: Di-pole vs. Monopole Surrounds
We also discuss converting a mechanical room into a theater, which 25′ HDMI cable to buy, and converting ethernet to coax cable.
– Zeskit 23′ Ultra High Speed HDMI cable: https://is.gd/rnwTLr
– Monoprice 48 Gbps fiber optic HDMI cable: https://is.gd/BpMD1Y
– Motorola MoCA adapter (ethernet over coax): https://is.gd/UgJOaW
00:59:04 – Chad B: $30K theater reno
We discuss soundproofing construction, building a false wall, which screen to buy, which projector, whether to build a hush box, and speaker suggestions with on-wall Surround options.
– Seymour AV CenterStage UF with masking options: https://is.gd/Ay1WlC
– RBH Signature On-walls: https://is.gd/ddpjRd
– Ascend Acoustics Sierra Luna: https://is.gd/FBJlcj & Duo: https://is.gd/f2yvjK
– Focal 1000 Series: https://is.gd/9oTBcD
– Legacy Audio Silhouette Pro: https://is.gd/fwnq5X & Pixel Pro: https://is.gd/LSp3Lq
– Aperion Audio Novus On-walls: https://is.gd/6I1IPw
– SVS Prime Satellite: https://is.gd/HQJy64
01:21:24 – Daniel C: How do Watts turn into volume?
We also discuss crossovers and filtering the Low Frequency Effects (.1 LFE) channel.
01:33:53 – Jorge S: Should Top Middles be labelled as Rear Heights?
01:38:32 – Jack C: LG GX OLED vs. C1
Notes on LG’s various OLED models, plus discussion about how much power a Chromecast with Google TV requires, and running in-wall ethernet cables.
– HDTV Test on C9 vs. CX/GX vs. C1: https://youtu.be/1SdhfbAcqPs
– HDTV Test on G1 vs. GX: https://youtu.be/F8ERtNKo8fs
– HDTV Test on LG’s Evo panels: https://youtu.be/1WHYRvwhDUE
01:45:15 – Infinite Gary: Polk Stereo Dimensional Array for Mono?
– B&O BeoSound 1: https://is.gd/JMsE4e
01:51:05 – Jason: Yamaha YPAO setup & dual subs
Jason also stumps us with a very unusual AV Receiver problem.