AV Rant #767: Bitstream vs. PCM
Tom is back! Our thanks to Lee Overstreet for guest co-hosting last week. And there’s exciting news about new JVC projectors!
00:00:00 – Intro & Listeners of the Week
Our Listeners of the Week are Chad for his PayPal donation, plus our 128 Patreon Patrons, as well as Jason S. for talking us up to SVS.
We also greatly appreciate the notes of gratitude sent to us for keeping the podcast going from: Kevin, Jeremy, and Chad. Thank you to everyone for continuing to listen!
Pictures shown in this episode:
In the news:
– Sony bought Crunchyroll from AT&T for $1.175 billion: https://is.gd/3fNha7
00:21:23 – Comment: Kevin took a road trip to buy two used Sony Z9D 3D TVs.
00:22:36 – Comment: Jay A. recommends Steve Yedlin’s videos re: resolution
00:25:34 – John O: DIY cylinder sub perhaps?
– SonoSub instructions: https://is.gd/07jTw0
00:30:44 – Don S: PCM or bitstream?
Don wants to know what audio format to output from his TV, and whether there’s an easy way to quickly get all your TV and AV Receiver settings correct.
00:39:02 – Michael K: Why use an external video processor?
00:45:45 – Jack C: In-wall HDMI & power
Jack wants to know which 10′ in-wall HDMI cable to buy, and whether a power cord can just go through a hole in the wall.
– Monoprice Ultra High Speed HDMI CL2 cable: https://is.gd/ns5JYy
– Zeskit Ultra High Speed HDMI CL3 cable: https://is.gd/5MgFCU
– In-wall power & cables wall plates: https://is.gd/eQ40t6
00:50:12 – Lance M: Do we actually want lasers?
Lance ponders the potential downsides of laser instead of lamps for projectors. Then he asks if we should worry about niche brands for enthusiasts amid today’s chip shortages. And he asks for out take on Scarlett Johansson’s lawsuit against Disney.
01:17:09 – Infinite Gary: Mono listening & dialogue levels
Gary also asks why overhead speaker labels seem unnecessarily complicated.
01:29:10 – Curt G: Panasonic UB420 on an SDR display
01:33:20 – Ilango: Best 50″ TV under $1,000
– Sony X85J: https://is.gd/bmsE11
01:37:17 – Shane P: 5 speakers for $3,000?
Shane gets our speaker recommendations, plus advice about buying a friend’s used subwoofer.
– SVS Ultra Bookshelf 5.0: https://is.gd/91A4tX
– Aperion Verus III Grand: https://is.gd/osoicG
– Ascend Sierra-2: https://is.gd/CLWFkG
– KEF Q-Series: https://is.gd/7TayqT
– Elac Uni-Fi Reference: https://is.gd/1rC6w2
– Paradigm Premier: https://is.gd/57zuyL
01:42:59 – Jason S: Best earplugs for concerts
Jason also highly recommends the SVS SoundPath Tri-Band Wireless Audio Adapter if you have lots of wireless interference.
– SVS Tri-Band Wireless Kit: https://is.gd/LvuWX8
– Etymotic ER20XS: https://is.gd/UT8ZkI
01:46:09 – Jack R: Why is WebOS 6.0 so bad?
01:52:08 – Gurinder: Sony A80J vs. LG CX OLED
Gurinder also has a bit of fun asking if we’d ever move around someone else’s poorly positioned speakers.