AV Rant #765: Receiver Buying Time
It might finally be a good time to buy an AV Receiver again! Well, pre-order, anyway.
00:00:00 – Intro & Listeners of the Week
Our Listeners of the Week are Clint for his PayPal donation, plus our 127 Patreon Patrons, including Martin & Bertrand, as well as Andrew L. for assisting Rob in finding a way to watch Master of the Universe: Revelation.
We also want to thank Jack, Bertrand & Clint for sharing their photos and giving Tom permission to use them on https://avgadgets.com/
And we greatly appreciate the notes of gratitude sent to us for keeping the podcast going from: Jason, Jack, Martin, Bertrand, and Clint. Thank you to everybody for continuing to listen!
Pictures shown in this episode: https://flic.kr/s/aHsmWi2NpA
In the news:
– PS5 comes with 6 months of Apple TV+: https://is.gd/rDTa9a
– Via Karl – All FandangoNOW accounts will be moved over to Vudu: https://is.gd/Ymck2S
00:13:39 – Comments:
– Nathan W. suggests JBL Synthesis or Revel in-walls for Justin’s brother who asked about them last week.
00:14:39 – Rob W. asks about HDMI 2.1 Splitters
He also shares his LASIK eye surgery experience, confirms our ARC & eARC suggestions were correct, and asks about an amplifier’s trim level setting.
00:25:37 – Don S. asks why HDMI cables can have performance differences
– Blue Jeans Cable articles: https://is.gd/x3YVlZ
00:35:06 – Jeremy W. asks if he needs to hear other home theaters
He wants to know if it’s the only way to form a frame of reference and be able to tell if his own system is as good as it can be.
00:42:16 – Infinite Gary asks about unusual 12 Volt triggers
00:47:44 – Gurinder ponders an OLED setup in front of a window
01:01:15 – John O. gets further DIY subwoofer suggestions
And we discuss another option for affordable, high-efficiency speakers from HSU.
– GSG MartySub BTS: https://is.gd/deF6oc
– MartySub assembly instructions: https://is.gd/GZhENS
– HSU CCB-8 coaxial speakers: https://is.gd/sQAd8m
01:14:02 – Jack C. gets OLED & AVR model & setup advice
He’s trying to decide on size and placement, and exactly which models to get. Plus we weigh in on his room’s acoustics.
– Denon X3600H from Accessories4Less: https://is.gd/mjbezO
01:28:20 – Martin J. & John Q. ask about Auro-3D & Auromatic Upmixer
01:39:41 – Bertrand shares pics & asks about video info discrepancies
He also asks how to get a 4K menu and app interface on his NVidia Shield.
– Android TV OS 12 will add 4K menus: https://is.gd/2sMROs