AV Rant #764: Have a Little Shootout
Check out Rob’s latest appearance on the Bright Side Home Theater Podcast with our friend DJ: https://www.brightsidehometheater.com/episodes/robhstreaming
00:00:00 – Intro & Listeners of the Week
Our Listeners of the Week are our 127 Patreon Patrons, including James W.
We also greatly appreciate the notes of gratitude to us for keeping the podcast going from: Justin B., Brandon, Gurinder, Rob W., Jeremy W., and James. Thank you to everyone for continuing to listen!
Pictures shown in this episode:
00:08:00 – Rob’s Xbox Series X glitch
Shout out to Xbox Support for the quick repair and great customer service!
In the news:
00:10:41 – Valve Steam Deck
Valve announced a portable gaming PC: https://is.gd/JKQUSO
– Netflix wants to get into streaming gaming: https://is.gd/HUY1rJ
– The National Association of Theatre Owners blames Disney+ for Black Widow’s big second weekend box office drop: https://avgadgets.com/theater-owners-release-tone-deaf-response-about-black-widow/
– Gurinder just needed to vent about missing out on some clearance OLED deals.
– James W. gives kudos to KEF UK for providing great service, even outside of warranty.
00:34:16 – Jack C. considers upgrading Aperion Intimus
Jack wants to know if he should stick with Aperion, or try SVS, Ascend, ribbon tweeters, or focus on something else.
– Aperion Bookshelf speakers: https://is.gd/mQa8bz
– SVS Ultra: https://is.gd/XpQB1P
– Ascend Sierra-2: https://is.gd/CLWFkG
– KEF R3: https://is.gd/nrHJjN
00:58:32 – Ben asks if it’s finally time for new speakers
He asks if his Yamaha Receiver is enough to power them, whether we think he’ll notice a big difference, and for any alternatives (in Australia) to the SVS Prime Series he’s considering.
– SVS Prime Bookshelf: https://is.gd/A7yYMI
– Dali Oberon: https://is.gd/Fxb8GS
– KEF Q Series: https://is.gd/yqqem2
– Q Acoustics: https://is.gd/gXoilt
01:04:34 – Mark N. had a nearby lightning strike
He wants to know if his neighbor’s tree getting hit could have fried his HDMI ports.
01:08:54 – Justin B. needs in-walls or on-walls
Justin’s brother wants “outstanding” performance from in-walls in a large, reflective room.
– Legacy Audio Silhouette: https://is.gd/XXYVk1 & Silhouette Pro: https://is.gd/fwnq5X
– Focal 1000 Series: https://is.gd/9oTBcD
– RBH Signature Reference: https://is.gd/TJGnUv
– KEF THX R-Series: https://is.gd/YpcGYU
01:15:00 – Bob S. asks about Dolby Vision on NVidia Shield
Did the older version support Dolby Vision? And why won’t his Denon Receiver overlay volume and info screens?
01:17:36 – Jim B. needs LG OLED HDR settings
01:23:15 – Steve G. has HDMI handshake issues
Also, his DVR’s sound cuts out when he skips forward.
01:29:56 – Karl R. asks why we compare cinemas vs. home theater at all
01:35:31 – Brandon N. has a Sony TV problem & DTS:X questions
01:41:36 – John O. asks for cheap, high output speakers
He also asks about a Behringer parametric EQ, and his revised DIY subwoofer build and placement plans.
– Behringer Ultracurve Pro DEQ2496: https://is.gd/5gl0tg
– JBL Stage Series: https://is.gd/pAavRx
– HSU HC-1 MK2: https://is.gd/J0PpGd
01:57:58 – John M. wonders if 3D might return
He also asks how to get Atmos audio from Disney+ without also using Dolby Vision.
– TechRadar “4K TVs Should Have Saved 3D”: https://is.gd/im0toN