AV Rant #757: AVRant Drinking Game
AVRant Listener Preston decided it was time we had a drinking game! He picked 16 of our commonly used catchphrases (full list at the bottom of the show notes). Hear us say one of them? Take a shot! (if you’re of legal drinking age, of course)
00:00:00 – Intro & Listeners of the Week
Our Listeners of the Week are our 126 Patreon Patrons, including Bertrand, as well as Karl and Brandon for confirming that the noises Gurinder’s JVC projector is making are unusual, Preston for talking us up to HSU and miniDSP, and for creating our drinking game, and Jack for mentioning us to Outlaw Audio, Accessories4Less, B&H Photo Video, and Cross-Spectrum Labs.
Thanks also to Jack for giving Tom permission to use his photos on https://avgadgets.com/
And we greatly appreciate the notes of gratitude for keeping the podcast going from Jason, Lance, Preston, Chris, Bertrand, Jonathan, Michael, and Chris. Thank you to everyone for continuing to listen!
Pictures shown in this episode:
00:12:12 – In the news:
– Sound United announced an HDMI 2.1 hardware upgrade program for the older flagship Denon X8500H and Marantz AV8805 models. They will also be replaced at retailers by new X8500HA and AV8805A revisions: https://avgadgets.com/hdmi-2-1-upgrade-for-older-flagship-denon-marantz/
00:17:52 – Comments:
– Jack R. suggests cutting a neoprene sponge rubber mat to size for subwoofer or speaker decoupling purposes: https://is.gd/EoRRCt
– Ralph M. shares his experience after his Dynasty Proaudio Wireless Speaker Kit interfered with his wireless Dish Hopper & Joey setup.
00:21:06 – Jonathan with the SeaDen Theater
asks about French doors vs. a sliding door, and how to acoustically treat his theater.
– GiK Custom Soffit Bass Traps: https://is.gd/OjVTtX
00:36:14 – Aidan C.
requests good, better, best suggestions for types of doors to install.
00:40:11 – Dennis R.
wants to know the best amp configuration for his main Receiver, a spare Receiver, and an external amp.
00:42:59 – Chris M.
asks if a bookshelf speaker laying on its side should be positioned off-center so that its tweeter is directly in line with the main seat.
00:45:46 – Jason S.
asks about bi-pole vs. monopole speakers for Surrounds.
00:52:03 – Lance M.
asks about acoustically treating his high ceiling. Then we dig into his dual subwoofer placement and measurements, and whether Dirac is benefiting his setup. We also discuss battery backup and Front Wide speaker positioning.
01:16:10 – John
asks what to do about mildew (maybe mold) growth in a humid environment.
01:21:53 – Jack R. and Chris T.
Jack asks about projector vertical lens shift and whether a JVC would be worth it in his setup. Then Jack and Chris both ask about professional calibration and Epson 5050UB picture settings. Plus, Chris asks about dual HDMI output issues.
– National Pipe Thread (NPT) Steel Pipe: https://is.gd/YfoUYe
– Peerless projector mount ceiling plates: https://is.gd/SouH4m
– Lion AV calibration services: https://www.lionav.com/
– Epson 5050UB picture settings by Projector Reviews: https://is.gd/dsxzJa
– Blue Jeans Cable Series-1 for High Speed HDMI at 25-feet with a passive HDMI cable: https://is.gd/aUKCYn
01:43:13 – R.D.
asks about AV Receiver headphone jacks.
01:47:06 – Anonymous
asks if it will finally be worth it to upgrade an Epson 7350 projector, and whether it’s ok to buy an AV Receiver without HDMI 2.1 if you’re not a gamer.
01:51:57 – Andrew L.
asks about using an amp with higher Wattage than the recommended power spec of your speakers, and whether to get a Monoprice Monolith or an Emotiva X-Series amp.
01:56:43 – Bertrand
asks about using a phantom Center and potentially having two Presets with his Marantz SR8015 Receiver. Plus he wants to know the best way to implement upmixing.
Preston’s AVRant Drinking Game
Take a shot when you hear any of the following:
1) Tom says, “Bob’s your uncle”
2) Surround Back speakers get bullied
3) We recommend a similar product but at a lower price point
4) Question from Infinite Gary
5) We say “first reflections” (not including Rob’s Twitter handle)
6) Tom disses Center speakers
7) Rob’s Canadian accent comes through
8) We say to set your crossover to 80 Hz
9) Rob corrects Tom’s pronunciation of someone’s name
10) Someone’s dream of buying an expensive amplifier gets squashed
11) It’s getting hot in Tom’s theater room!
12) Rob rattles off a ridiculously complicated product name off the top of his head
13) Bass sound waves get compared to water
14) Xbox audio issues get mentioned
15) We pick on Emotiva for announcing something and then making us wait
16) Tom reveals something new and unexpected about himself