AV Rant #756: REW Tutorial
If you’re brand new to Room EQ Wizard (REW), we’ve got a tutorial at the end of this episode to help get you started! You can watch the YouTube version to see all the screenshots here: https://youtu.be/eOwnVbLg5Jo?t=6660
00:00:00 – Intro & Listeners of the Week
Our Listeners of the Week are Jeremy and Timothy for their PayPal donations, plsu our 126 Patreon Patrons, as well as Ara Derderian from http://www.htguys.com/ for helping us with Gurinder’s JVC projector start up noises, and Herb from https://cross-spectrum.com/ for shipping an individually calibrated UMIK-1 to Rob!
We also appreciate the notes of gratitude for keeping the podcast going from Ryan, Josh, Gurinder, Henry, Jeremy, and Jonathan. Thank you to everyone for continuing to listen!
Pictures shown in this episode:
00:10:35 – In the news:
– Yamaha announced their 2021 Aventage Receiver models: https://is.gd/ndPe8E
– Yamaha’s 2020 Receivers can have their HDMI 2.1 ports fixed via an HDMI board replacement: https://avgadgets.com/yamaha-hdmi-2-1-fix-announced-and-youre-not-going-to-like-it/
– WarnerMedia will spin off from AT&T and merge with Discovery Network: https://is.gd/KaW6er
– HBO Max will offer a cheaper tier with ads: https://is.gd/z4sYWS
– Dune won’t be a day-and-date release on HBO Max anymore: https://is.gd/xWWbGu
– The 2nd Gen Apple TV 4K has an eARC port that acts as an audio input as well as an output: https://is.gd/QSc546
00:29:42 – Comments:
– Infinite Gary shares his brief Monoprice Monolith HTP-1 experience, and his new Lexicon MC-10 purchase.
– Bob updates us on his NVidia Shield backup plans.
– Jay A. shares a Sound & Vision write-up about a feel-good Make-a-Wish project: https://is.gd/P27UJ4
00:32:42 – Ryan R.
wants a pair of headphones for his father who has some hearing loss.
– Audio-Technica ATH-M40x: https://is.gd/7Zekfw
– Sennheiser HD559: https://is.gd/JwtKTY
– Sennheiser RS 175 Wireless: https://is.gd/wvGhXK
– Headphone cable extension: https://is.gd/myLYkD
00:38:19 – Josh H.
wants new Front speakers, and he’s interested in ribbon tweeters. He asks for opinions on Emotiva Airmotiv. We discuss alternatives, both ribbon and dome. Then we tackle subwoofers.
– Ascend Sierra RAAL: https://is.gd/dXX3PA
– Martin Logan Motion: https://is.gd/Xi8Vez
– RBH Signature SV Reference: https://is.gd/dhyFNd
– SVS Ultra: https://is.gd/NyTb9r
– Aperion Verus III Grand: https://is.gd/osoicG
– KEF R-Series: https://is.gd/dZQtvd
– Focal Chora: https://is.gd/egyjmV
– JBL HDI Series: https://is.gd/ii2Gbg
– Revel Performa3: https://is.gd/XQfBZh
– SVS PC-4000 Cylinder subs: https://is.gd/uxnbED
– Power Sound Audio TV3612: https://is.gd/e52IIj
01:02:42 – Michael
wants to know all about Tom & Rob, so he gets a rundown of our systems, what we’d change, what we’d upgrade, and our favorite movies and demo material.
01:18:37 – Henry C.
asks how to stop a projector from physically shaking, and whether he should upgrade.
– Chief CMA347 Projector Vibration Isolator: https://is.gd/EH5hKo
01:22:18 – Jeremy
asks about Listening Mode choices, how he should set the midrange and tweeter trim switches on his in-wall Focal speakers, whether to use CinemaEQ, how to best set his crossovers, whether he should keep tinkering with his subs, whether to insulate above his suspended ceiling, and what to do about room acoustics.
01:49:12 – Francis A.
prompts us to give a beginner’s Room EQ Wizard tutorial, with a little bit about using a miniDSP 2×4 HD, as well.
01:51:14 – Room EQ Wizard Tutorial
– Room EQ Wizard (REW): http://www.roomeqwizard.com/
– ASIO4ALL drivers: https://www.asio4all.org/
– miniDSP 2×4 HD: https://is.gd/q8mXX9
– miniDSP 2×4 HD plug-ins: https://is.gd/yeJJmQ
– UMIK-1: https://is.gd/1Lxwqb
– Individually Calibrated UMIK-1 from Cross-Spectrum Labs: https://cross-spectrum.com/measurement/calibrated_umik.html
– Beginner’s Guide to REW: https://youtu.be/-A8LjsOx6d0
– Room Measurements Using REW: https://youtu.be/_87-hK1org8
– Home Theater Gurus REW Tutorial with miniDSP: https://youtu.be/_A6gPCczhuU