AV Rant #754: Atlantic Tech AT-3 Speaker Review
Tom reviews the Atlantic Technology AT-3 Tower speakers that utilize their patented H-PAS (Hybrid Pressure Acceleration System) transmission line cabinets to deliver deeper bass extension than you might expect: https://avgadgets.com/atlantic-technologys-at-3-tower-speakers-overview/
00:03:08 – Atlantic Tech AT-3 speaker review
00:17:36 – Listeners of the Week
Our Listeners of the Week are our 125 Patreon Patrons, including Daniel, as well as James from Linus Tech Tips for including an image of our website and http://www.avrant.com/a-12-step-guide-to-setting-up-dual-subwoofers/ in his Intel Extreme Tech Upgrade video: https://youtu.be/RUI1k-KHXNk?t=771 .
We also want to thank Keshaun for giving Tom permission to use his photos on https://avgadgets.com/ .
And we greatly appreciate the notes of gratitude for keeping the podcast going from Jay, Patrick, and John. Thank you to everyone for continuing to listen!
Pictures shown in this episode:
00:21:09 – In the news:
– Via Karl – ViacomCBS plans to release a new movie every week in 2022 during their Mountain of Movies campaign on Paramount+: https://is.gd/C2BSCs
00:23:48 – Hisense announced their 2021 TV lineup with North America’s first consumer Dual Cell LCD model: https://avgadgets.com/hisense-announces-dual-cell-lcd-but-thats-not-the-real-story/
00:28:52 – Comments:
– Jay A. suggests using central vacuum tubing as your in-wall conduit for HDMI cables.
00:31:28 – Tom H.
asks if a pair of JL Audio in-wall subwoofers will perform well and be worth the cost. We’d prefer in-room subs, and suggest ways to visually hide them.
– JL Audio SYS-213 in-wall subs: https://is.gd/P61IXP
– SVS PC-4000 cylinder subs: https://is.gd/uxnbED
00:43:08 – Keshaun
prompts a discussion about the frequent claim that separates have better “channel separation” than AV Receivers.
00:54:37 – Jay A.
starts by sharing his experience with Dricore basement subfloor tiles ending up less expensive than OSB or plywood, and Green Glue being worth it, provided it’s used with all the other recommended soundproofing techniques.
Then he asks about equipment rack & fan suggestions, building a seating riser, buying cinema-style seats in Canada, whether his electrician should handle surge protection, which screen to buy, which banana plugs to get, and whether he should try tactile transducers.
– Peerless rack: https://is.gd/JacuwR
– AC Infinity fans: https://is.gd/dDrW23
– 4Seating movie theater seats: https://is.gd/n60ho4
– Quebec Acoustic theatre seats: https://is.gd/8buBpF
– Male electrical inlet: https://is.gd/UczY6t
– EluneVision Elara screen: https://is.gd/D2rRFJ
– Sewell Strike Banana Plugs: https://is.gd/vkILtO
– Locking Banana Plugs: https://is.gd/Whdc3W
– ButtKicker: https://is.gd/mF7RAk
01:21:03 – Daniel C.
asks why Rob isn’t using a VPN to access US streaming services from Canada.
01:23:44 – Greg R.
wonders if it would be worth it to salvage materials from his local theaters that are closing for good.
01:26:29 – Dazz
gets us to dive into BEQ: Bass EQ for Filtered Content. Then we discuss which subs he should buy, how he should complete his drop tile ceiling, and where he should place his final DIY acoustic panels.
– BEQ thread on AVS Forum: https://is.gd/7HCEID
– BEQ catalogues of individual titles: https://is.gd/9F5V9Z
– CertainTeed Theater Black ceiling tiles: https://is.gd/pFaTXe
01:43:23 – Paul H.
shares what his oldest piece of gear is, and asks what our most worthless home theater purchase ever was.
01:46:39 – Infinite Gary
gets our take on swapping bookshelf Surrounds for Towers in a small room.
– Samsung LSP9T “The Premiere” Triple Laser 4K UST projector: https://is.gd/CNLquB
01:50:10 – John
asks how to figure out the balance between room acoustics and high end speakers and electronics, what we think about expensive amplifiers, whether the HD Fury solution for using Dolby Vision on projectors really works, and what we think about the YouTube videos by Amir from Audio Science Review.