AV Rant #752: You Had Me at Tedium
There’s a new Apple TV 4K, and the Color Balance calibration feature…doesn’t work? Maybe Apple will improve it over time. Or maybe they know that most people don’t actually like a truly accurate image when they first see it, so the minimal changes are intentional? Regardless, just putting your TV into an accurate picture mode to begin with is easier.
00:00:00 – Intro & Listeners of the Week
Our Listeners of the Week are Ari for his donation, plus our 124 Patreon Patrons, including Bertrand, as well as Erick for telling SVS he heard about them from us, Jason for emailing Gary Yacoubian, CEO of SVS, to ask about potentially buying the Harmony Remote division from Logitech, and Kerry for helping out Tom with his cycling.We also want to thank Kevin, Andrew, Ari, Raul, Mark, Stan, Terry, and Michael for their notes of gratitude for us for keeping the podcast going. Thank you to everyone for continuing to listen!
Pictures shown in this episode: https://flic.kr/s/aHsmVrsQa9
00:10:45 – In the news:
– Apple announced the 2nd generation Apple TV 4K with a much needed Siri Remote redesign: https://is.gd/Omsdyg
– There’s a much touted new Color Balance feature: https://avgadgets.com/how-to-calibrate-your-apple-tv-4k-with-an-iphone/
– But the early reports are that it does little to nothing: https://is.gd/PnqKCg ; https://is.gd/jStMII
– Sony Pictures movies will come to Disney+ after Netflix’ exclusivity window: https://is.gd/X6QeWA
– HDR10+ gained new supporters in Roku and Paramount+: https://is.gd/tv9hlL
00:23:06 – Comments
– Andrew L. casts another vote for Google Assistant as the best voice assistant.
– Will T. suggests the Amazon Basics 2-ch Class D amp: https://is.gd/MeCxKx
– Martin D. shared @ SweetChaos’ Subwoofer Comparison Spreadsheet: https://is.gd/tNO1JB
– J.R. got his panels from GiK and shared a pic.
00:27:47 – Erick M.
asks about Dolby’s confusing diagrams for Atmos speaker placement and aiming.
– Official Dolby Atmos Home Theater Installation Guidelines: https://is.gd/GYE9EP
00:31:16 – Kevin H.
asks about inexpensive in-wall subwoofer options.
– Monoprice SSW-12 on-wall sub: https://is.gd/suM8UK
– Outdoor Speaker Depot SL800D: https://is.gd/HyA0SC
– OSD R10 in-ceiling sub: https://is.gd/1NtyLc
00:38:01 – Infinite Gary
asks if it’s “wrong” to alter trim levels to make voices more intelligible.
00:42:24 – Andrew S.
gets our take on his acoustic treatments, ceiling tile options, when is the right time to dig into Room EQ Wizard and taking measurements, what his target curves should be and how to apply them, which mic is worth it, and speaker toe-in.
– ASIO4ALL drivers: https://www.asio4all.org/
– Small room acoustic treatment & demos: https://youtu.be/dB8H0HFMylo
01:05:46 – David A. & Aaron
ask for projector, speaker, subwoofer , and AV Receiver suggestions for a preexisting home theater room with some design and layout features to work with.
– Epson 5050UB: https://is.gd/SRX2fB
– JVC LX-NZ3: https://is.gd/F73bZt
– NHT C-Series: https://is.gd/yIsJPx
– SVS PC-4000: https://is.gd/kivHl4
– Denon X2700H: https://is.gd/4VH5JI
– Denon X2600H: https://is.gd/PhVuoi
01:19:25 – Bertrand
asks for monitor recommendations for a Mac Mini in the Living Room.
– Gigabyte M27Q: https://is.gd/k7JEeg
01:21:50 – Ari
gets dual sub recommendations, thoughts on using the new Siri Remote with HDMI-CEC, and a warning about electrical wiring.
– SVS dual PC-2000 Pro: https://is.gd/LoRzXU
– SVS dual SB-2000 Pro: https://is.gd/bsOiMP
01:28:35 – Joe K.
gets some advice about projectors for screen sizes over 200-inches.
01:32:02 – Gurinder
asks about getting a larger OLED to go above his Living Room fireplace.
01:34:36 – Andrew L.
asks if he should buy a miniDSP once he adds a second sub.
– Multi-Sub Optimizer Software: https://is.gd/srsZdZ
01:39:12 – Raul
has us narrow down his bookshelf speaker options from what’s available on Amazon Mexico.
01:45:14 – Steve W.
gets our thoughts on a TV stand with slatted wood doors.
01:47:39 – Mark V.
gets a recommendation for the four cheapest overhead speakers possible.
– Monoprice 8247 5.1 Satellites: https://is.gd/arqkFD
01:51:15 – Stan
asks if a 4K TV with HDR is worth it over his 4K non-HDR TV for sports.