AV Rant #751: Lots of B-ah-ss
Rob’s excited about his Robosen Auto-Converting Optimus Prime pre-order: https://robosenstore.com/pages/optimus . But since those are sold out, maybe a new Sony 4K projector or Emotiva BasX Gen2 amplifier will cure what ails ya.
00:00:00 – Intro & Listeners of the Week
Our Listeners of the Week are Bob for his PayPal donation, plus our 126 Patreon Patrons, including Max and Bertrand, as well as Kris for telling https://www.accessories4less.com/ we sent him their way, John for telling https://www.rythmikaudio.com/ he bought a second sub because of us, and mentioning us in his https://emotiva.com/ user review, and Clara for trying to convince Gary Yacoubian, the CEO of https://www.svsound.com/ , to take over Harmony Remotes from Logitech.
We also want to thank Michael and Reginald for sending in photos with written permission for Tom to use them on https://avgadgets.com/ .
And we appreciate the notes of gratitude for keeping the podcast going from Kris, Greg, Bob, Michael, Jason, Bertrand, John, and Martin. Thank you to everyone for continuing to listen!
Pictures shown in this episode: https://flic.kr/s/aHsmVnze1v
00:10:15 – In the news:
– Via Karl – Stewart Filmscreen Harmony G2 is their new woven, acoustically transparent, UST-compatible projection screen material: https://is.gd/sxdxlb
– Via Karl – Sony’s new $5,500 VW325ES and $40,000 VW1025ES projectors complete their 4K SXRD lineup, but don’t be fooled by the “Dynamic HDR Enhancer” marketing, which is not frame-by-frame dynamic tone mapping: https://is.gd/m3h9FB
– Emotiva released the 2nd Generation of BasX amplifiers: https://is.gd/xAg6BJ
– SVS’ $200 SoundPath Tri-Band Wireless Audio Adapter aims to eliminate signal interference: https://avgadgets.com/svs-soundpath-tri-band-wireless-audio-adapter/
00:22:52 – Comments
– Jason S. mostly fixed his wireless audio interference by replacing his old WiFi router.
– Ilango updates us on the whole house audio MusicCast system his friend’s parents put together.
– Greg L. shares NASA’s free faux movie posters that would make for excellent printed acoustic panels: https://is.gd/zVJ5wa
– Timothy encourages everyone to audition speakers first, and put expectation and ego aside.
– Andrew L. used fence lattice from Home Depot to add decorative scatter plates to his DIY acoustic panels: https://is.gd/aXPUCj
00:29:14 – Mike P.
gets an updated take on his car audio amplifier situation, and suggestions for stereo amps that can actually stay outdoors.
– Sonos Move: https://is.gd/63xma4
– Phase Tech OS-440 outdoor amplifier: https://is.gd/CEiaik
– Altelix weatherproof enclosure: https://is.gd/uIHs89
– OS-440 Setup Guide: https://is.gd/XTjvDm
00:35:19 – Aaron R.
is leaning towards DTS Play-Fi for whole house audio, and he wants our take.
00:39:30 – Bob S.
had a 25% drop in volume from his NVidia Shield, and we think we had the same glitch.
00:42:17 – Max K.
asks what to do about his bass shaker setup that is functional, but not consistent or optimized.
00:54:50 – J.R.
has us discuss the pluses and minuses of auto-frame rate switching and switching between SDR and HDR.
01:01:10 – Patrick P.
gets confirmation that HDMI-CEC and ARC add potential complications to using the apps built into a smart TV, and asks if there’s a way to prevent his TCL 6-Series TV from defaulting to the Roku Home Screen when it turns on.
01:07:48 – Michael T.
asks which speaker option he should go for in his spare room that’s about to become a home theater, and whether he should get the dual SVS SB-3000 subs he’s read such good things about. We also take a tangent into talking about DIY and kits for absorption panels.
– Acoustimac Panel Kits: https://is.gd/ykyfli
– SVS dual SB-2000 Pro subs: https://is.gd/MGtind
01:21:29 – Jason S.
used Rob W.’s DIY Printed Panel guide to great effect: http://www.avrant.com/listener-advice-rob-w-on-movie-poster-absorption-panels/ . Then he asks what size and type of display he should go for.
– 83″ LG C1 OLED: https://is.gd/Imtv7J
01:27:07 – Bertrand
asks if he should try a phantom Center, and we talk about toe-in and tilt. He’s also a bit disappointed with his dual subwoofer performance. And he asks about setting his Receiver to display relative volume (negative numbers with 0 being Reference Volume), and why his Panasonic UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray player is refusing to play some discs.
– Home Theater Gurus Alternative to the Subwoofer Crawl: https://youtu.be/giG7mQ0QJdM
– Interview with Chris Kyriakakis from Audyssey: http://www.avrant.com/av-rant-402-interview-with-chris-kyriakakis-of-audyssey/
01:40:01 – Matt C.
is having HDMI issues trying to send video to both his BenQ projector and TCL TV at the same time via fiber optic HDMI cables.
01:51:11 – Martin J.
asks if an SVS PB-1000 subwoofer will pair well with a PB-1000 Pro, and whether he needs more than one sub in his setup.