AV Rant #746: Who DOESN’T Have a New House
Find all of Tom’s latest tutorials, editorials, and reviews over at https://avgadgets.com/ . And feel free to send in photos with written permission for Tom to use them on the site. Your theater could be Internet Famous! 😉
00:00:00 – Intro & Listeners of the Week
Our Listeners of the Week are Kevin for his PayPal donation, plus our 125 Patreon Patrons, as well as Byron for sending Rob a tip for his help on Twitter, and James for inviting Rob over to check out the new Anthem MRX 740 AV Receiver. We also appreciate the notes of gratitude for keeping the podcast going from Eric, Ari, Tyler, Dave, Carl & Bobby. Thank you to everyone for continuing to listen!
00:10:22 – Anthem MRX 740 experience
Pictures shown in this episode:
00:18:39 – In the news:
– The first ever THX Dominus certified speakers are from a new speaker company: PerListen Audio: https://is.gd/bItC7h
00:22:34 – Comments
– Graham C. suggests Arlington’s air tight electrical boxes with gaskets for stopping flanking paths: https://is.gd/WciRzs
00:23:23 – Mark M.
asks about $1,500 TV options, subwoofer size, speaker options, and AV Receiver choice for his small room.
– LG CX OLED: https://is.gd/WP8cl3
– Vizio P Quantum X: https://is.gd/xIZ2wt
– SVS Prime System: https://is.gd/wsfep3
– Ascend HTM-200SE: https://is.gd/npXANQ
– Denon X2600H from Accessories4Less: https://is.gd/PhVuoi
00:41:05 – Julian L.
asks if a subwoofer upgrade will be as worthwhile as his recent KEF LS50 purchase.
00:43:56 – Lance H.
asks about audio & video comparisons between an LG CX and Sony A9G OLEDs.
00:53:22 – Manny
asks why Audyssey gave him weird results at first, how to improve his subwoofer localizability, what “midrange compensation” is, and why his bass volume levels don’t remain consistent across sources.
01:06:25 – Joe K.
asks if his Def Tech Towers’ built-in, powered bass drivers are still utilized when the speakers are set to “Small”.
01:13:53 – Christian
asks if collectible plates will help or hurt his room’s acoustics.
01:16:01 – Chris M.
asks if he can seal the gap below his door.
01:18:35 – Eric
thinks changing aspect ratios can be part of storytelling, and wonders why we seem to be against external amps.
01:27:10 – Nick B.
asks if the floor also needs to be dark for the best projection experience, and when we think new Denon Receiver and JVC projector models will be announced.
01:35:30 – Nick A.
asks about in-wall speakers for his L-shaped room, and if cheap Atmos in-ceilings will be ok.
– KEF Ci200R: https://is.gd/w5iuSM
– Legacy Silhouette: https://is.gd/DDejv4
01:47:35 – Will T.
has us go over Audyssey Dynamic EQ, Dynamic Volume, and LFC.
01:50:32 – Ari
asks if we think he should upgrade his Elac Uni-Fi speakers.
– Acoustic Movie Posters: https://is.gd/eg6VXq
– Elac OW42 on-wall Surrounds: https://is.gd/nnBxeV
01:57:32 – Jacob B.
has us go over his basement theater speaker placement plans.
02:03:21 – Jens
asks about acoustic treatment options in Denmark, how to fix the boominess he’s hearing, and how to make his Surrounds less distracting.