AV Rant #744: Uncle Anamorphic
0:12:38 SVS launched their new 1000 Pro Series subwoofers: https://www.svsound.com/collections/1000-pro-series-subwoofers . And you can check out our deep dive interview all about ’em with the President & CEO of SVS, Gary Yacoubian, right here: https://youtu.be/Qhk2xldqfwc
Our Listeners of the Week are our 120 Patreon Patrons, as well as Infinite Gary for talking us up to Cross-Spectrum Acoustics ( https://cross-spectrum.com/ ), Emotiva, and Monoprice; Scott S. for sending Rob a “tip” via PayPal for answering some time-sensitive questions; and Ilango for sending us Amazon gift cards. We also want to thank Chris for sending some photos and giving Tom permission to use them on https://avgadgets.com/ . And we appreciate the notes of gratitude for keeping the podcast going from Trey, Scott, Ilango, Evans, and Bertrand. Thank you to everyone for continuing to listen!
Pictures shown in this episode: https://flic.kr/s/aHsmUCLnS4
In the news:
– Via Karl – The C Seed M1 is a 165″ Foldable Micro-LED TV: https://is.gd/5kcAU9
– Paramount+ is here, replacing CBS All Access: https://is.gd/f47fK3
– Alan wanted to make sure everyone knows there’s a lot more to Audio Science Review than just speaker reviews.
0:24:23 Dale lets us know his questions are for his uncle’s new place, so he gets clarification about: 2-channel orientation, subwoofer choice, monoblock amps, universal disc players, which speakers to buy, two rows of seating in a small theater, screen size, AV Receiver options, in-ceiling speakers, projectors, and our top TV model picks.
– SVS Ultra Bookshelf: https://is.gd/XpQB1P
– Denon X3700H: https://is.gd/xda5By
0:51:50 Ken M. gets the lowdown on Dolby Vision with projectors. And he asks about Zone setup for a large, open room in his basement.
– HD Fury method for Dolby Vision on HDR10 displays: https://is.gd/ZkXqKF
1:02:10 Christian gets clarification about how much brighter a projector will be with an anamorphic lens on a CinemaScope screen vs. zooming.
1:12:01 Patricio & James & Dazz all ask about power protection, and which features are genuinely important.
– APC BR1350MS: https://is.gd/indoUO
– APC P8V: https://is.gd/LTcLj8
– Male electrical inlet: https://is.gd/0a9qw5
1:24:51 Bertrand asks about the “breath test” for acoustically transparent fabric, how to incorporate an air gap behind absorption panels, speaker spacing & placement, and whether to get the new SVS 1000 Pro Series.
1:38:15 Chris asks about Atmos and Surround speaker placement.
1:42:07 J.R. has us go over his new room measurements ahead of receiving his acoustic treatments.
1:51:12 Dan gets our thoughts on addressing hearing loss, and how to develop critical listening skills.
– Harman How to Listen: https://is.gd/znw9IG