AV Rant #741: Jens, Yens, Yan(s), HELP!
0:09:00 Thank you to Ken and Mike for sending in some corrections about getting the highest Spotify streaming quality and Dolby Atmos audio in games on Xbox.
Our Listeners of the Week are Jens and Joseph for their PayPal donations, plus our 124 Patreon Patrons, including Andy, as well as Andy again for giving us a shout out to Accessories4Less, and Mike for giving Tom permission to use his photos on https://avgadgets.com/. We also want to thank Jason, Aaron, Seth, Jens, Ken, Byron, Carl, and J.R. for their notes of gratitude to us for keeping the podcast going. Thank you to everyone for continuing to listen!
Pictures shown in this episode:
In the news:
– Streaming video service subscriptions are well ahead of forecasts:
– Disney+ reached 95 million: https://is.gd/0ebECO
– Netflix surpassed 200 million: https://is.gd/Lnz5p4
– HBO is two years ahead of projections: https://is.gd/diddfx
– And HBO Max will finally expand beyond the USA this summer: https://is.gd/46KOw3
– Aaron let us know that completed panels from GiK have long wait times, but DIY materials are available to ship quickly, if you want to assemble your own: https://is.gd/9ePvuX
– J.R. shares some updated photos after painting and adding dual SVS PC-2000 Pro cylinder subs, just like we recommended.
0:19:37 Mike S. asks how to get a perfect timbre match across his Front 3 speakers, and how to mitigate the occasional harshness he hears in some recordings.
0:27:56 Brian Z. asks which is the least expensive Ultra Short Throw projection screen we recommend.
– Elite Screens Aeon CLR (original sawtooth): https://is.gd/7LBGE4
– Elite CLR 2 (flat, coating, cleanable): https://is.gd/zRTXHP
– Elite CLR 3 (new sawtooth): https://is.gd/YmaupI
0:37:53 Jyotir wants a compact, reasonably-priced sub for a large room.
– SVS PC-4000: https://is.gd/uxnbED
– Goldenear SuperSub XXL: https://is.gd/kL6uk7
– Power Sound Audio S3012: https://is.gd/AlRZ0O
0:48:19 Dale gets a slew of recommendations for a dedicated 2.1 music system, and a full home theater.
– GiK Room Kit: https://is.gd/0bfYzs
– Marantz NR1200 Stereo Receiver: https://is.gd/6Rlyua
– Emotiva BasX A-300 amp: https://is.gd/TzAife
– Outlaw Audio Model 2220 monoblocks: https://is.gd/X9bBVU
– miniDSP 2×4 Dirac: https://is.gd/OQWeBG
– Individually calibrated UMIK-1 from Cross-Spectrum: https://is.gd/7g9Dtq
– Audio-Technica AT-LP120 turntable: https://is.gd/gkVOiZ
– Sony X1100ES universal disc player: https://is.gd/3GioGO
– SVS 2000 Pro subwoofers: https://is.gd/ZjYXEA
– Ascend Sierra-2EX: https://is.gd/Qh37ty
– RBH bookshelf speakers: https://is.gd/e3G6ak
– KEF LS50: https://is.gd/T3IqEN
– JVC NX5 (RS1000): https://is.gd/1Hy82S
– Silver Ticket white screen: https://is.gd/TJQIcb
– Marantz SR6014: https://is.gd/rrSRGO
– Ascend HTM-200SE: https://is.gd/npXANQ
– SVS Prime: https://is.gd/0FjIxv
– Monoprice Alpha in-ceiling: https://is.gd/ng2Wpg
– Panasonic UB420 UHD BD player: https://is.gd/xrNTcZ
1:07:04 Jason S. asks which fabric to choose for DIY printed panels.
1:12:19 Colin L. tries to troubleshoot some popping and crackling from his satellite TV box.
1:16:10 Jens wants to prioritize, so he asks about room treatments, lining speaker cabinets with foam, replacing Surrounds, Atmos, and Height Virtualization.
1:31:53 Byron S. asks which RBH Signature Reference models he should opt for, and whether the dome tweeter versions can be upgraded to folded ribbons later.
1:38:24 Andy S. asks if he needs to upgrade his HDMI cable, and how to test if his Zone 2 speakers are properly wired in phase.
1:45:54 Infinite Gary gets our take on “fully balanced” pre-pros.
1:51:16 Carl C. asks about in-ceiling speakers and fire safety code.
1:55:00 Ian E. has an audio gremlin that only seems to go away if his projector is turned on.
– Blue Jeans Cable HDMI cables: https://is.gd/aUKCYn