AV Rant #739: Tom Procrastinates & Explodes
Our Listeners of the Week are Lee O. for his PayPal donation, plus our 123 Patreon Patrons, including Nathan, as well as Joe for sending photos with permission for Tom to use them on https://avgadgets.com/ . We also want to thank everyone who let us know about our email server bounce back issues. Hopefully those are fixed! And we appreciate the notes of gratitude for keeping the podcast going from Nathan, Manny, Nick, and Cory. Thank you to everyone for continuing to listen!
Pictures shown in this episode:
In the news:
– The Audiophile Reference Disc might have some good demo tracks, but we suggest skipping The Audiophile’s Guide: The Stereo Book: https://is.gd/njSMST
– Google is closing their Stadio Game Studios: https://is.gd/iCQO4E
– Kaleidescape has added rentals for Strato systems: https://is.gd/BCYpAO
– Nick and Nathan describe how our interview with Todd Welti ( http://www.avrant.com/av-rant-737-interview-with-todd-welti-on-subwoofers/ ) helped them in their system.
– Joe K. got Netflix working from his Panasonic Ultra HD Blu-ray player on his 1080p projector by changing the HDCP Output setting.
– James S. let us know his printed fabric from SpoonFlower was a disappointment.
0:24:47 Brian gets our input on his basement theater plans regarding seating distances, screen size, standard vs. Ultra Short Throw projection vs. an 85″ flat panel, Surround and Atmos speaker placement, and pre-wiring.
– Monoprice Alpha in-ceilings: https://is.gd/ng2Wpg & back cans: https://is.gd/NYXzfF
0:42:57 Rob X. asks which streaming music app to use on Xbox.
0:43:59 Matt C. gets suggestions for a friend’s gaming setup with an 85″ TV being the priority.
– Vizio P Quantum X: https://is.gd/2NJhCO
– Sony X900H: https://is.gd/bn4pY4
– Yamaha TSR-700 (RX-V6A): https://is.gd/ahaGtj
– HSU horn-loaded speakers: https://is.gd/M7wXwh
– SVS PB-1000: https://is.gd/0bILgB
– Monoprice Monolith 10″ Ported: https://is.gd/H0WOAy
0:51:18 Julian L. asks about a small amp to expand to 7.2.4, and whether to keep using his existing subwoofer.
– Fosi TDA7498E: https://is.gd/tFUysc
0:56:21 Mike S. gets our speculation about why two different Center speaker models have both occasionally sounded harsh to him.
1:08:36 Manny asks about aiming Surround and Atmos speakers, and whether to lower his DIY absorption panels.
1:12:09 Jason S. asks if his HDBaseT converter is the reason 4K/60 with Dolby Vision gives him a black screen from his NVidia Shield Pro.
1:16:29 Nick & Ian & Manny all ask about 2.35:1 “Scope” ratio screens and anamorphic lenses, with reference to Sound & Vision’s take: https://is.gd/VK8lkS
– Projector Central on anamorphic lenses: https://is.gd/tfdwzZ
1:26:03 Mark V. asks if his Receiver will switch between using one pair of speakers as Surround Backs and Top Rears when appropriate, and whether all your speakers should match in terms of being 2-way or 3-way.
1:31:22 Cory asks about stacking two smaller subs to balance one larger one, or if they should all be spread out, plus any general ideas for his theater.
1:38:01 Nathan D. gets the differences between a Marantz SR7010 vs. SR6011.
1:41:04 J.R. gets a dual subwoofer placement tip. Then we dig into GiK’s suggestions for acoustic treatments in his room, and what he could DIY.
– GiK DIY materials: https://is.gd/9ePvuX
– Acoustimac DIY: https://is.gd/gl09Bx
1:50:31 Bob H. gets our take on Printed Loudspeaker Paper, whether it’s close to electrostatic speakers, and how we think it might be useful in home theaters: https://is.gd/wreza6Thanks for listening. Check out our Facebook Page. Click here for our YouTube channel where you can see the recordings of our show videos. Download Tom’s FREE superhero-themed ebook Bob Moore: No Hero wherever ebooks are sold (or given away in this case). Visit Tom's website for download links as well as links for the two full-length followups - Bob Moore: Desperate Times and Bob Moore: Hostile Territory. Check out AVGadgets.com where Tom is the new Editor-in-Chief!