AV Rant #736: Revels & Room Treatments
A slightly shorter episode this week. But we have good news! On Monday, we will post an interview with Todd Welti from Harman in which we deep dive into multiple subwoofer optimization. We’re really happy with the discussion we had, so definitely look forward to that!
Our Listeners of the Week are Jeffrey for his PayPal donation, plus our 124 Patreon Patrons, as well as Kamran and George for both talking us up to SVS. Speaking of SVS, Nick Brown was kind enough to send Rob a pair of 13-Ultra to 4000 Series amplifier upgrade kits ( https://www.svsound.com/products/svs-13-ultra-amplifier-upgrade-kit ). And we also want to thank Curt and Chris for giving Tom permission to use their photos on https://avgadgets.com/ , and Steve W., Curt, Nathan, and Steve B. for their notes of gratitude to us for keeping the podcast going. Thank you to everyone for continuing to listen!
Pictures shown in this episode:
In the news:
– KEF announced their space-saving, dual-opposed Uni-Core driver design: https://is.gd/ERxVxD
– Netflix will spend $19 billion on content in 2021 with at least one new movie every week: https://is.gd/FHaOBe
– J.R. shared pics of his new Surround Back positioning using VideoSecu stands: https://is.gd/t7Mlf7
– Gurinder shared pics of his seating riser made from shipping pallets.
– Chris H. says his sister loves the Revel M8 speakers.
0:16:55 Dale W. asks how to watch one source while listening to another on his Denon X4500H.
– CD input Options: https://is.gd/wLPRtU
0:21:15 Manuel S. asks which gaming projector to get for his 135″ ALR screen.
– Epson HC 3800: https://is.gd/UDZesp
0:25:05 Dean R. needs a way to delay his 12 Volt trigger signal.
– Triggers based on Zone or Input: https://is.gd/oAJq1v
0:28:54 Nick B. asks for the angle on the face of the SVS Prime Elevation speakers, and whether Sony’s 10,000 lumen GTZ380 projector is desirable for a 120-inch screen: https://is.gd/2sD3rF
0:34:35 Infinite Gary asks if a new router or streaming device will prevent occasional resolution dips.
0:36:44 Steve W. gets neutral-sounding on-wall speaker recommendations.
– RBH Ultra-1: https://is.gd/OmO0vi
– Revel M10: https://is.gd/iwV5XL
– Ascend HTM-200SE: https://is.gd/npXANQ
– Ascend Sierra Luna: https://is.gd/FBJlcj & Duo: https://is.gd/f2yvjK
– Aperion Novus Slim: https://is.gd/6I1IPw
0:41:43 Lee O. gets wireless HDMI suggestions, and a description of series-parallel wiring for four transducers.
– WireCutter wireless HDMI article: https://is.gd/xZGMaT
0:47:02 Mark H. asks about difference between the Denon S960H vs. X2700H: https://is.gd/YdkBhv
0:49:35 Kamran H. has us go over his full theater build and purchases, and suggestions for acoustic treatments and Surround placement, in particular.
– Klipsch RP on-wall speakers: https://is.gd/pLqW0s
1:08:03 Joe K. asks why his Panasonic UB420 can’t output streaming services on his Epson 2150 projector.
1:10:33 Dennis asks why his Surround Back speakers are disabled when listening to Atmos or DTS:X.
1:13:24 Steve B. has us look at his measurements in his irregularly-shaped room to discuss room treatments, second sub placement, and potential Atmos upgrades.
1:26:23 Nathan D. asks if a Yamaha TSR-700 (aka RX-V6A) can power KEF LS50 speakers, and for additional white speaker suggestions.
– Aperion Novus: https://is.gd/KjsiQX
– SVS White: https://is.gd/5hizhO
– Revel Concerta2: https://is.gd/YLIbOn