AV Rant #726: You Can’t Go Too Thick
Interested in Rob’s recommended Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5 settings? You can find them here: https://youtu.be/Z2IJnxWTF14
Thankful on Infinite Podcasts is next week! That’s right, our big Podcast Crossover Event is on Thanksgiving Day! Ara & Braden, the HT Guys from the HDTV & Home Theater Podcast, DJ from the Bright Side Home Theater Podcast, and Lee, Tom & Rob from AVRant will all be together. Thank you all for your amazing support!
Our Listeners of the Week are our 125 Patreon Patrons, including Alan V., as well as Andrew L. for reaching out to Alan to share his experience building a similar home theater, and Alan C. for mentioning us to KEF. We also greatly appreciate the notes of gratitude for keeping the podcast going from Jason, Kerry, Brian & Alan. Thank you to everyone for continuing to listen!
Pictures shown in this episode:
In the news:
– Emotiva released their first headphones: $300 Airmotiv GR-1: https://is.gd/mGGOZU
– A fire at AKM’s factory in Japan could have a large impact on many audio companies: https://is.gd/AFWSmS
– HBO Max is now on Amazon Fire TV devices, but still not on Roku: https://is.gd/czoyGT
– Dazz compares the Ultimate Ears Wonderboom 2-Pack vs. Megaboom.
– 0:29:37 Infinite Gary shares clarification about Dolby Volume implementation and Upmixing cross-pollination on Anthem’s newest Receiver & Pre-Pro models.
– 0:32:15 Rich O. found many other people having problems with their cable boxes and SoundBars after the newest Sony X900H TV firmware update: https://is.gd/a9FMZl
0:33:38 Jay A. gets our thoughts on low-budget productions using Ultra Short Throw projectors instead of green screen.
– Film Riot’s video: https://youtu.be/q464HcMyUmY?t=38
0:39:52 Mitch R. gets details on Loudness Management and DialNorm settings, and why there are so many different options for Dynamic Range Compression. Then he asks what thickness of absorption panels to put where.
0:55:44 Jonathan F. shares his thoughts and gets our response to the article, The Future of Audiophile Systems: https://is.gd/juXtTU
1:10:39 Amelia K. asks about the Bag End PM-6 Studio Monitors and dual subwoofers she’s using, whether they’re wired correctly, and the best way to expand them to a full 5.2 setup.
– Bag End M-6 Passive: https://is.gd/KL8B8N
– Elac Center speakers: https://is.gd/iPOd07
– Elac Debut 2.0 OW4.2 on-wall Surround: https://is.gd/I1ed5z
1:36:51 Mark M. asks how to widen the listening sweet spot, and where to download demo clips in Dolby Atmos: https://thedigitaltheater.com/dolby-trailers/
1:41:05 Gurinder asks what on-wall speakers he should get to match his Polk LSiM Series, how wide he should make his seating riser, and how much velvet to put on his walls and ceiling.
– Build a fake column + Polk 265-LS in-wall: https://is.gd/HIH5d9
– HT Market pre-built risers: https://is.gd/Ynskhw
1:47:26 Adam G. asks if 4K & Atmos work on Disney+ on an NVidia Shield outside of Australia, and how and when “upmixing to Atmos” (Dolby Surround Upmixer) should work on his Denon X3600H.
1:52:31 Monty N. asks about Oculus Quest 2 vs. PlayStation VR, and what’s up with Oculus’ Facebook account rules: https://is.gd/AcbPM4
1:56:17 Alan V. asks if he should daisy-chain two subs or use a Y-splitter, what a “curtain skirt” looks like, and the best positions for his Atmos speakers.Thanks for listening. Check out our Facebook Page. Click here for our YouTube channel where you can see the recordings of our show videos. Download Tom’s FREE superhero-themed ebook Bob Moore: No Hero wherever ebooks are sold (or given away in this case). Visit Tom's website for download links as well as links for the two full-length followups - Bob Moore: Desperate Times and Bob Moore: Hostile Territory. Lastly, if you live in the Tampa Bay area and are interested in a mobile climbing wall, check out Fearless Mobile Climbing and meet Tom in person!