AV Rant #725: Donation Hat Trick
Thankful on Infinite Podcasts is a go! You can look forward to our big Podcast Crossover Event on Thanksgiving Day! Ara & Braden, the HT Guys from the HDTV & Home Theater Podcast, DJ from the Bright Side Home Theater Podcast, and Lee, Tom & Rob from AVRant will all be together. Thank you all for your amazing support!
Our Listeners of the Week are Clay and Jonathan for their PayPal donations, plus our 122 Patreon Patrons, including John S., as well as John S. again for giving us a shout out to Cross-Spectrum Labs: https://cross-spectrum.com/ . We also thank John, Gurinder, Mitch, Jonathan & Art for their notes of gratitude to us for keeping the podcast going. Thank you to everyone for continuing to listen!
Pictures shown in this episode:
In the news:
– Rocketfish at Best Buy has officially certified Ultra High Speed HDMI cables up to 12 feet: https://is.gd/QhEERr
– Xbox Series and PS5 are out, but it’s not all perfect:
– PS5 lacks VRR: https://is.gd/o82xBP and 8K: https://is.gd/MQwtrd
– Xbox Series has UHD Blu-ray black level issues: https://is.gd/G894XP and a Netflix app that’s stuck in HDR all the time: https://is.gd/6WYKYj
– VRR on LG OLEDs has flickering: https://is.gd/UjKDV3
– 4K/120 on Sony’s “Ready for PlayStation 5” TVs is blurry: https://is.gd/qzywjP
– Denon & Marantz AVR firmware update adds DTS:X Pro and restores cross-pollination upmixing: https://is.gd/hnkhsi
– Anthem pulled the manuals for their newest models (AVM70 & 90, MRX 540, 740 & 1140) offline: https://is.gd/qas956
– Gurinder got new home theater recliners.
– Nathan W. says that not retaining JVC projector polarization actually makes 3D cheaper and easier: https://is.gd/l41APj
0:19:25 Nick B. wants to know when we think new JVC projector models will arrive, and the current models will go on clearance.
0:21:48 Infinite Gary asks how the stereo effect actually works.
0:26:49 Kevin T. asks if he should add Surround Backs, maybe just one to make it 6.1, and whether to get di-pole Surrounds.
0:37:46 Chad B. asks about wall-mountable Surrounds to match his Ascend Sierra RAAL Fronts, rack-mountable amps with both RCA & XLR inputs, battery backup and surge protection, and how to get a wider sweet spot.
– Ascend Sierra Luna: https://is.gd/FBJlcj
– Ascend HTM-200SE: https://is.gd/npXANQ
– Emotiva XPA-5 Gen3: https://is.gd/ba8k7s
– Emotiva XPA Rack Ears: https://is.gd/g3bAaG
– Outlaw Model 5000X: https://is.gd/sEz4Ac
1:00:22 John S. wants a Front 3 speaker upgrade for his Great Room.
– KEF R-Series: https://is.gd/dZQtvd
– KEF LS50 Meta: https://is.gd/3E83NE
– RBH Signature SV Series:https://is.gd/sNw3RW
– SVS Ultra: https://is.gd/NyTb9r
– Paradigm Prestige: https://is.gd/HozNpW
1:08:13 James S. asks how thick is reasonable for printed panels, who makes the best printed panels, how diffusion compares to absorption, and which subwoofer to buy.
– GiK 242 Acoustic Art Panels: https://is.gd/yFdS9c
– SVS PC-2000 Pro: https://is.gd/woZm6i
1:17:55 Dalton C. asks if he should get a second sub, and where to put it if he does; or, if he should spend the money on a screen size upgrade, or add more acoustic panels to his walls.
1:28:44 Alan V. asks about insulation inside walls, filling a window bay with insulation, how much wire to run inside the walls vs. outside the walls, and how to handle a 1080p TV in the kitchen.
1:40:22 Kerry A. gets our stance on installing firmware updates right away.
1:43:50 David A. wants to know if Front L/R speakers should go behind an acoustically transparent projection screen.Thanks for listening. Check out our Facebook Page. Click here for our YouTube channel where you can see the recordings of our show videos. Download Tom’s FREE superhero-themed ebook Bob Moore: No Hero wherever ebooks are sold (or given away in this case). Visit Tom's website for download links as well as links for the two full-length followups - Bob Moore: Desperate Times and Bob Moore: Hostile Territory. Check out AVGadgets.com where Tom is the new Editor-in-Chief!