AV Rant #723: HDMI 2.1 Pulls a Quibi
AVRant Listeners are really excited about our big Podcast Crossover Event! Ara & Braden, the HT Guys from the HDTV & Home Theater Podcast, DJ from the Bright Side Home Theater Podcast, and Lee, Tom & Rob from AVRant will all be getting together to record a special episode for Thanksgiving! And the response has been amazing. So thank you all so much for your support!
Our Listeners of the Week are Brandon C. for his PayPal donation, and our 123 Patreon Patrons, including Kevin. We also want to thank Kevin, Dazz, Mark, Dan, Jack, Zakir, Nathan & Jason for their notes of gratitude for keeping the podcast going. We really appreciate it. And thank you to everyone for continuing to listen!
Pictures shown in this episode:
In the news:
– 0:13:27 HDMI 2.1 problems have been reported for Denon/Marantz & Yamaha AV Receivers: https://is.gd/lCu8Qe
– Sony & LG also ran into 4K/120 VRR and Dolby Vision HDMI 2.1 problems, but have implemented settings workarounds: https://youtu.be/f5VHGEcFX5Q & https://youtu.be/EhnSgwsxlBI
– 0:18:16 AVRant Listener Nathan asks why the HDMI Forum even exists if such problems still happen, and whether HDFury might fix them.
– MiniDSP introduced the $195 UMIK-2: https://is.gd/pGfpBW
– And $550 – $750 UMIK-X: https://is.gd/inrL9l
– UMIK-X includes REW Pro: https://is.gd/LKQ6Ax
– Will Cross-Spectrum Labs calibrate these new models? https://cross-spectrum.com/
– Quibi is dead: https://is.gd/Y6yT9i
– Dazz shares updates on his Ascend CMT-340SE replacement tweeters, music listening levels, and his wife’s speaker preferences.
– R.D. recommends the Channels App and Channels Plus DVR: https://getchannels.com/
– 0:30:05 Bob tells his tale of woe trying to get his LG OLED power board replacement.
0:34:17 James S. wants to know the best way to spend $3,500 in his apartment to improve his musicality. He also asks about Plex stuttering and buffering when playing Ultra HD Blu-ray files on an NVidia Shield “Tube” (thanks to Kevin H. for his helpful info), and what high dollar customers want in a review of expensive equipment.
– Safe and Sound HQ (refurb NAD): https://is.gd/yvcceJ
– Denon X3600H Gibby’s (Canada) B-Stock: https://is.gd/nrNx29
– GiK Art Panels: https://is.gd/EkMkN5 & DecoShapes: https://is.gd/HVQZyq
– Acoustimac Acoustic Art Panels: https://is.gd/X1gxCp & Wall Design Packs: https://is.gd/krU0kO
– Acoustic Panels Canada Art Panels: https://is.gd/LvLLsj
– Klipsch SPL Series Subs: https://is.gd/sQDhhR
1:04:33 David asks how to run a pair of BIC F12 subs with a pair of SVS SB-3000.
– Rob’s 12 Step Guide: http://www.avrant.com/a-12-step-guide-to-setting-up-dual-subwoofers/
– Multi-Sub Optimizer: https://is.gd/dOarPe
1:08:35 Mark V. asks why his Surrounds got louder when he switched Front speakers, confirms his 80Hz crossover, and asks if a sales rep was right about why he shouldn’t get even larger Towers.
1:13:50 Alex Y. asks about LG CX OLED and NVidia Shield settings and enhancements, and which Ultra HD Blu-ray player to buy.
– RTings CX Settings: https://is.gd/VmPM78
– Panasonic UB820: https://is.gd/3GcTxn or UB420 (no Dolby Vision): https://is.gd/xrNTcZ
1:20:52 MK asks whether he should get a Sony VW295 or an Ultra Short Throw projector.
1:26:43 Dan T. has us go over his large basement theater area plans.
1:34:01 Jack R. asks if the curves of equal loudness play a role in doing a subwoofer crawl, and which 75″ TV to get for the kids’ game room.
– TCL 75S535: https://is.gd/V4VEGU
1:38:57 Andrew L. asks why Tidal sounds better than free Spotify and Apple Music, whether MQA is worth it, which premium music streaming service we recommend, and which music app to try on his NVidia Shield.
– Amazon Music HD: https://is.gd/QjanN6
– MediaMonkey: https://is.gd/rZxHw0
– AIMP: https://is.gd/DIJHeA
1:51:38 Infinite Gary asks what Gene’s arguments were for saying the Center is the most important speaker.
1:53:08 Nick B. asks what to use as a long power cable for his Neo Geo Arcade Stick.
– USB 3.0 extension: https://is.gd/tG8M4v
1:54:51 Geoff asks if there’s a fix for the raised blacks on his LG C8 OLED with Dolby Vision content.
– FlatpanelsHD article: https://is.gd/9H1W1d
1:57:05 Robert M. asks if he should get the Epson LS500 or Samsung LSP9T UST projector.
2:00:07 Dennis wants to know the best way to ensure he gets the highest quality audio from his NVidia Shield when his TV lacks eARC.
2:02:06 Javier C. asks if he can use a Yamaha Receiver to expand his Denon X4700H from 9 to 11 speakers, and if so, how?Thanks for listening. Check out our Facebook Page. Click here for our YouTube channel where you can see the recordings of our show videos. Download Tom’s FREE superhero-themed ebook Bob Moore: No Hero wherever ebooks are sold (or given away in this case). Visit Tom's website for download links as well as links for the two full-length followups - Bob Moore: Desperate Times and Bob Moore: Hostile Territory. Check out AVGadgets.com where Tom is the new Editor-in-Chief!