AV Rant #720: Sony Good, Samsung Bad
Our Listeners of the Week are Marty for his donation, and our 123 Patreon Patrons, including Bastian, Will, and Richard who shared a humorous video poking fun at AMC Theaters on Facebook: https://is.gd/q2CXr3We also thank Ken S. for talking us up to Parts-Express when he bought a Dayton APA102BT stereo amp. And we greatly appreciate the notes of gratitude for keeping the podcast going from: Bob, Tom, Gary, Nathan, Mike, and Andrew. Thank you to everyone for continuing to listen!
Pictures shown in this episode:
In the news:
– 0:17:47 Samsung’s The Premiere Ultra Short Throw LSP 7T & 9T aren’t nearly as expensive as we feared: https://is.gd/NQu5P9
– 0:20:32 Google Chromecast with Google TV (by Google, in case you couldn’t tell) adds a remote, Dolby Vision & Atmos for $50. Is it the inexpensive “does everything” dongle?: https://is.gd/qly7tl
– via Ilango – Roku adds Apple AirPlay 2 and HomeKit: https://is.gd/InSoiv
– Disney-owned movies are finally available in 4K HDR with Atmos via iTunes: https://is.gd/fmtdXX
– Apple TV 4K finally has YouTube in 4K, but no HDR or 4K/60: https://is.gd/boPfZw
– Jefferson seconds the RetroTink recommendation for getting older video outputs working with HDMI: https://www.retrotink.com/
– Jeff G. updates us on his house’s grounding, using Pronto Remote codes to get his Receiver working with both a projector and a flat panel, and we discuss his situation with Active and Fiber Optic HDMI cables.
0:38:43 Dazz prompts a discussion about amplifier power requirements and clipping, since his tweeters blew. We recommend some amps, and touch on monoblocks. Then we discuss Surround speaker positioning, in-ceiling Atmos options, and self-powered speakers with subwoofer outputs.
– Emotiva XPA-3 Gen3: https://is.gd/fKb0z8
– Monoprice Monolith 3X: https://is.gd/3TZMMn
– Outlaw Model 5000X: https://is.gd/fjHynZ
– Outlaw Model 2220 monoblock: https://is.gd/X9bBVU
– Monoprice Amber in-ceiling speakers: https://is.gd/gIdHzc
– Klipsch The Fives: https://is.gd/M94lnW
0:58:30 Jay A. & J.R. both ask about the new dual Presets feature of 2020 Denon and Marantz Receivers. Then J.R. asks about 85″ TV options for gaming, and how high he can mount an 85″ TV.
– Sony X900H: https://is.gd/RMLRDE
– Vizio 2021 P-Series Quantum X: https://is.gd/fCAQDO
1:07:46 Andrew L.’s wife painted some fantastic Star Wars-themed posters. We want them. And he asks about a weird Audyssey glitch where the test tones played extremely loudly.
1:10:30 Aras asks if his LG C9 OLED can really do 4K/120 and G-Sync, and whether there are 25′ Ultra High Speed HDMI cables.
– HDTV Test on C9 firmware for G-Sync: https://youtu.be/VMyS-muSmbE
– Monoprice SlimRun Fiber Optic Ultra High Speed HDMI: https://is.gd/pnxENL
1:14:20 Bob H. wants a 7-channel Receiver that might last 20 years, and he asks how to control the newest Yamaha models with an app.
– Yamaha RX-V6A: https://is.gd/YRLu5P
1:18:30 Infinite Gary asks how we think the transition to micro-LED displays and HDR in commercial movie theaters will play out, and whether people will still prefer projectors. Then he asks about the official names for Surround speaker positions, and what our worst ever purchases were.
– Moving Cinema Forward to HDR article: https://is.gd/AM7BWx
– CineWorld closing all theatres: https://is.gd/wEILLz
– CineWorld backs out of buying Cineplex in Canada: https://is.gd/YTx4BC
– AMC & Cinemark remain open despite almost all movies being delayed: https://is.gd/LCSngx
1:35:10 Matt G. rightly wants to surge protect his cable line as well as his modem/router, so we go over the options.
– APC Back-UPS Pro BR1000MS: https://is.gd/2ocIOm
– APC Back-UPS Pro Gaming: https://is.gd/P1hoIX
– APC SurgeArrest: https://is.gd/vzVQQw
– APC P4V: https://is.gd/JGimFz
1:38:17 Ken R. asks if dual channel in-ceiling speakers might work for Atmos.
1:41:11 Will T. gives an update on trying to get his HD DVD player to work with his Marantz SR6011. Then he asks he he should get used Energy Reference Connoisseur Towers to match his Center, or three new Ascend CMT-340SE, confirms that the HSU VTF-2 MK5 subwoofer is a good choice, and asks how to find the best place to position one sub.
1:50:54 Aaron M. asks if he can plug a PS5 or Xbox Series X directly into a TV and use ARC instead of buying a brand new Receiver.Thanks for listening. Check out our Facebook Page. Click here for our YouTube channel where you can see the recordings of our show videos. Download Tom’s FREE superhero-themed ebook Bob Moore: No Hero wherever ebooks are sold (or given away in this case). Visit Tom's website for download links as well as links for the two full-length followups - Bob Moore: Desperate Times and Bob Moore: Hostile Territory. Lastly, if you live in the Tampa Bay area and are interested in a mobile climbing wall, check out Fearless Mobile Climbing and meet Tom in person!