AV Rant #714: Easy for Tom to Say
Our Listeners of the Week are Kris, David, Andrew, and Arturo for their donations, plus our 124 Patreon Patrons, as well as Nelson and Fred for dropping our name to Accessoires4Less, and Dan for offering to send Tom some Good Seasons packets, since Tom can’t find them at his local stores. We also want to thank Gurinder, Victor, Stefan, Michael, Kris, and Dan for their notes of gratitude to us for keeping the podcast going. Thank you to everyone for continuing to listen!
Pictures shown in this episode:
In the news:
– Disney revealed details of Premier Access on Disney+ for the release of Mulan: https://is.gd/rbdApX
– Via Allen G. – Channel Master and TiVo have teamed up to release the $350 TiVo Edge OTA DVR: https://is.gd/4mZFWw
– Aperion Audio released their Novus Slim on-wall speakers: https://is.gd/KjsiQX
– 0:18:27 Yamaha’s RX-V4A and RX-V6A Receivers are the first to offer more than one HDMI 2.1 input: https://is.gd/YRLu5P
– Mike provided a handy diagram of the numbers for below black and above white for 8, 10, and 12-bit signals: https://is.gd/x7zdmC
0:26:32 Lee O. asks what he should do in the way of insulation for acoustic absorption in the alcove behind his acoustically transparent screen.
0:32:34 Rob W. gets an explanation of each part of a “separates” setup and when it makes sense to use one instead of an AV Receiver.
0:50:05 Nelson W. asks about Audyssey Sub EQ HT and why we recommend Rob’s 12 Step Guide to Setting Up Dual Subwoofers instead: http://www.avrant.com/a-12-step-guide-to-setting-up-dual-subwoofers/
0:56:14 Ted M. asks what he should do in the way of adding Atmos speakers to his Legacy Audio setup, and potentially replacing his Surrounds.
– Martin Logan Motion 2i: https://is.gd/IYk0AD
– Emotiva Airmotiv A1: https://is.gd/YfOXED
– Elac WS-1645: https://is.gd/qSOB4d
1:13:06 Allen G. wants to know why HDR and audio from Disney+ via his Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K don’t look and sound as good as Ultra HD Blu-rays.
1:20:33 Raul N. asks about TCL’s Android TV models vs. their Roku models.
1:25:11 Infinite Gary asks about coupling RCA cables, and what we think when it comes to remixing classic albums in Dolby Atmos for Music: https://is.gd/EVzwAe
1:30:18 Fred R. found out what it might cost to repair his HDMI circuitry after a lightning strike, so he asks about battery backup vs. surge-only, and installing an OTA antenna surge suppressor.
1:33:27 Victor D. asks if he should get an Emotiva XPA-3 to power his Front 3 Paradigm speakers.
1:35:46 Kris B. asks if he can configure his Denon X8500H to add a pair of Front Height speakers to his Top Front & Top Rear setup.
1:40:05 David F. found some dead subpixels in his new 77-inch LG CX OLED, and he wants to know if he should try an exchange, or just live with them.Thanks for listening. Check out our Facebook Page. Click here for our YouTube channel where you can see the recordings of our show videos. Download Tom’s FREE superhero-themed ebook Bob Moore: No Hero wherever ebooks are sold (or given away in this case). Visit Tom's website for download links as well as links for the two full-length followups - Bob Moore: Desperate Times and Bob Moore: Hostile Territory. Check out AVGadgets.com where Tom is the new Editor-in-Chief! Download Tom's NEWEST book, Touch of Pain from Amazon now!