AV Rant #710: Lucifer’s Home Theater
Our Listeners of the Week are Levi for his donation, and our 125 Patreon Patrons, including James, Brandon, and Rob. We also want to thank James, Brandon, Levi, Tim, and Fred for sending us notes of gratitude for keeping the podcast going. Thank you to everyone for continuing to listen!
Pictures shown in this episode:
In the news:
– “Tenet” by director Christopher Nolan is foregoing its intended global release, and will instead premiere when it can, where it can, starting August 26: https://is.gd/vWZCNk
– CES 2021 will take place entirely online: https://is.gd/wAIlSq
– AMC Theaters and Universal Studios forged a multi-year deal to allow movies on Premium Video on Demand just 17 days after premiering in theaters, with revenue sharing: https://is.gd/nx0Zqy
– Adam G. benefited from good timing when he heard Brandon’s reminder last week that Harmony Remotes can be programmed to select HDMI Output 1 or 2 (or both) when connecting a flat panel TV and a projector to an AV Receiver.
– Patrick P. vouches for Sherwin-Williams’ 7070 Series of neutral gray paint: https://is.gd/BTrLOi
– Christian enjoyed Linus Tech Tips’ efforts to make their own Bluetooth speaker: https://youtu.be/H8GptHQ0W2U
0:25:14 Mike A. asks about a scary, popping sound, whether to use his SPL Meter’s windscreen and max/min button, confirms what he should be measuring, which Epson 2150 settings to use, and what HDMI Video Range means.
– Projector Reviews Epson 2150 calibration: https://is.gd/XLLr2P
0:34:23 Infinite Gary asks if the two calibration slots offered by new 2020 Denon and Marantz Receivers would allow for easy A-B comparisons between internal and external amplification.
0:43:01 Timothy gets us to delve deeper in Dirac vs. other room correction programs.
0:55:25 Raul R. asks what other materials can be used to make DIY absorption panels when Rockwool is expensive or difficult to find.
0:59:57 Wesley M. asks which $1,500 TV he should buy when watching a lot of static content from 8-9 feet away.
– 2021 Vizio P and P Quantum X Series: https://www.vizio.com/en/tv/p-series
1:05:22 James W. asks for the resources that describe how overhead sounds are steered overhead, depending on how you label your speakers, and specifically asks about Top Middles.
– Monoprice Monolith HTP-1 manual (pg. 25): https://is.gd/8vsmZk
– Beyond 7.1.4 by Josh Zyber: https://is.gd/WvPWTg
1:13:35 Chris A. asks how he should deploy Surround speakers when he cannot drill into walls.
– Sanus Steel Series stands: https://is.gd/ADWC8U
– Museum Putty: https://is.gd/PXCHxt
– SVS Prime Satellites: https://is.gd/HQJy64
– NHT SuperZero: https://is.gd/waSvtP
1:23:12 Levi K. asks if he can use a different microphone after losing the Audyssey mic that came with his Marantz SR7010.
– Audyssey mic explanation: https://is.gd/HINs5r
1:27:06 Dazz asks for a battery-powered Bluetooth speaker recommendation and a way to synchronize it with his Onkyo Receiver.
– Avantree AudiKast Bluetooth Transmitter: https://is.gd/yyw9r2
– Sonos Move: https://is.gd/63xma4
– UE Megaboom 3: https://is.gd/2WMMyo
– Thiel Aurora Tour: https://is.gd/vp8elg
– Creative iRoar: https://is.gd/WmHNNx
1:31:32 Eddy (with a brief interruption to pop back to Dazz) asks about upgrading to a 3.0 setup in his apartment and foregoing a subwoofer, as well as which speaker brands he should consider from the dealer he found in Barcelona.
1:44:47 Matt G. laments that there isn’t a single external streaming device that reliably offers the best audio and video formats from every streaming service.
1:55:28 Bobby M. asks for the best way to recreate the car audio, tactile bass experience in a home.
– ButtKicker LFE: https://thebuttkicker.com/buttkicker-lfe/